How to connect two 4060 ICs to divide crystal frequency

elef

Joined Jul 7, 2011
I got a bunch of crystals and few 4060 ICs, so I decided to play with them. Below is a schematic of my "project". I want to lower the circuit output frequency below 1Hz using two 4060 chips by taking the output of pin 3 which is 2 Hz and feed it to another 4060 chip to divide it further say to 1/16 of a second. How do I daisy chain them? The upper 4060 works fine and outputs 2Hz.

The only thing I want to accomplish is to find out how to make these chips working together.
Les

Attachments

elef

Joined Jul 7, 2011
Thank you tnk. Do I need to add a capacitor between pins 3 an 11? Also should I leave pin 10 unconnected?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I was used CD4060 and CD4013 to produce 1HZ, but I haven't using the cascade method, but one thing you should care about, that is the state of pin 3 of the first CD4060 will changed from high to low when it completed the whole count 32768, but the state of pin 11 of the second CD4060 will be changed from low to high, do they need a inverter, or it would be ok, I'm not sure about that, so you can try it, this is just a hint, I also want to know that.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Have you reviewed the block diagram of the 4060?

There is no "divide by two" to get you to 1 Hz. At best using the output you selected, the lowest available frequency would be ... 0.125 Hz.

I would recommend you past two copies of the CD4060 Block diagram into a word file and see what output of the first would produce the 1 second output from the second. Hint: Which number represents the x, as in 2^x, for this problem.

After you solve that problem, there will be another one that rises up.

Attachments

Last edited: