How to connect a solar panel's DC jack to a solar charge controller with separate +,- terminals?

Devika B S

Joined Mar 8, 2017
Well I bought a solar panel and a solar charge controller. The solar panel has a DC jack whereas the controller requires a separate positive and negative terminal. How do I connect this? I have attached the images below. 20170315_194442.jpg20170315_194401.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Either cut the connection off and strip the wire, or
Get the female socket and use short jumper wires to connect it to the screw terminals
Sounds good to me. I would get the mating socket and use that. Making sure to check the polarity and just hard wire the panel to the controller. This way there is no need to hack the existing connector.

Ron

Devika B S

Joined Mar 8, 2017
Either cut the connection off and strip the wire, or
Get the female socket and use short jumper wires to connect it to the screw terminals View attachment 122517
OK. Also on removing the back cover, I found this 20170315_222456.jpg

So now, I have to remove the outer cover and directly connect to the red and black wires to the screws right?

Last edited:

Devika B S

Joined Mar 8, 2017
Sounds good to me. I would get the mating socket and use that. Making sure to check the polarity and just hard wire the panel to the controller. This way there is no need to hack the existing connector.

Ron
OK. But my online electronic shop doesn't seem to have one (mating socket) :(. I will try to get it else where. If not, I may have to cut the wires.

Last edited:

Avid0g

Joined Apr 1, 2018
Be careful to cover the solar collector with something to block light. You don't want current while also rewiring. May blow a fuse - if you are lucky.

Especially important on higher voltage panels. Current can go through you.