How to connect a solar panel and a battery, but not charge the battery?

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
Ok I don't understand why you don't want the solar panel to recharge the battery.
Is it because you want to recharge the battery with a battery charger? (???? Not very efficient ???)...
Also, do not, I repeat, do not just place the solar panel across the battery (even if you only leave the solar panel blocking diode in place).....
The blocking diode is intended to prevent interaction when the solar panel is in a shadow (a good design includes these - unless the panel comes with blocking diodes - your's doesn't indicate so).
Note: The battery will gass off at 14.6 Volts or so. It will charge if the voltage is 13.8 volts. A solar charge controller is used to sense when the battery is drawing charging current and will stop charging the battery preventing the battery from being over charged.
Like already pointed out - A) You want the battery to be the main source of power. B) You want the solar panel to be the secondary supplemental power. and B1) You want the solar panel to recharge the battery when needed (this way you do not have to physically hook up a battery charger now and then to recharge the battery).
A well designed solar system will provide years of service with little maintenance/attention. But no system is absolutely "maintenance free".
Your panels are basically 5 Amp panels and rated at 17 Volts DC - which means the panel will cause the battery to gass off. The solar charge controller (many 10-Amp models only cost about $10) will prevent this.
Also a point that needs to be made: Blocking diodes keep the solar panel from sucking power from the system. When a group of solar panels are in full sun and producing energy, a shadow across one panel will cause the other panels to push power into the shaded panel (called shadowing) and the shadowed panel will draw down the power feed. The blocking diode eliminates this problem (hence the name - "blocking Diode").
In college we built a solar panel that had blocking and bypass diodes on each cell. It was cumbersome, and we had yo use a lot more cells to get the same results. But we could place our hands over any cell or any group of cells and not see a voltage drop. (Actually the panel was designed to produce 1.5X the voltage required and an on-panel regulator regulated power at a steady 12.0V-13.8V nominal with a 14.8V Battery Equalizing setting. The panels were a doctoral research project and intended to eliminate what were at the time perceived as "solar negatives". Yes I got an excellent peer review...).
So my original question still stands: Why do you not want to recharge the battery from the solar panel?
dataman19