How to choose the right components...

kelvinmead

Joined May 15, 2011
...in a more open general way, rather than for the specific project i'm working on.

im currently looking at using some of the 4000 range, decade counters, 7 segment drivers etc, but where do you start?

i can find a page with a listing of 4000 - 4100, each chip with its title, pin outs, specifics and some backround info, but theres another 900 chips (maybe) in this range, and then theres the other ranges of chips..

so off to wiki we go;

BCDMOS
BiCMOS
Bipolar junction transistor
CMOS
GaAs
Integrated injection logic
Logic family
Mixed-signal integrated circuit
MOSFET
Multi-threshold CMOS (MTCMOS)
NMOS logic
Depletion-mode NMOS logic
PMOS logic
RC delay
SiGe

and on, and on... i know what i want to do in my head, i can google search... but there must be a better way...

ill end up linking a 4011 into a 4059 into a 4512, post it up with the errors / finished product and some smartalec will come back with, oh, all of this can be replaced by a 4714... (for example)

what would be EPIC would be a book with a huge chunk of chips in that you can reference, but thoughts from some seasoned peeps wouldn't go amiss!

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
There might be no "best" way to achieve what you want to achieve.
For one specific project there are always multiple ways to get there.

Usually the solution you choose does not only account for the characteristics of the components, but also how easily they are available, will they become obsolete, how much do they cost, how much space you have available etc.

Then there also many specialized IC you don't even know about.

Taking everything into consideration (especially price) usually limits quite well the component range you can use.

For every solution there will always be someone who has a better idea, don't worry about it. ;)