How to check the Wattage of a scrapped resistor?

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Test finished !
Final Conclusion: the most important variable is the material used in making the resistor itself.
That material is dictating the temperature the resistor will rise to and its maximum wattage.
Unfortunately it is not a SINGLE TYPE of material used on all the --resistor watage types-- as I originally presumed. (I didnt think too hard)
Because the material varies, also the temperatures is varying from model to model and I can not obtain the Wattage if the temperature is not constant.

This only works if the temperature is --constant-- for every value type of resistor (10R,100R,1K,10K,100K,etc) and also for every watt type of resistor (1W, 10W, etc)

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly that "touch test" is very subjective. Temperature sensing crayons and paints are more accurate, but really, how precise can the check be? Also, once again, it is more important to avoid using a resistor near it's max power rating to prevent overheating nearby components. Max rating operation is only a reasonable choice for short-life systems, such as missiles and other ordinance.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Certainly that "touch test" is very subjective.
Im not sure what touch test you think I mentioned. I didnt use my finger or my tongue or my lip for sensing the temperature. I did it like that when I did not had any professional equipment and when I didnt know better. But now, I use a digital thermometer TM-902C shown in the picture. That black pliers is used there as a weight to keep the wire on position over the body of the resistor.
1664988130156.pngand this is it's tip; it looks like a metal blob at the very end.
1664988594727.png
Also read the attachment text file. It contains a lot of useful information of how I conducted the experiment. I didnt get to overheat any components in my experiment. Which was very interesting in itself. They got to a surprising lower temperature to meat their corresponding wattage. Read it !!! and it will be more clear.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I had not read that file when I made that comment. The fact is that in this forum we have every variety of visitors, from those who do not understand what a circuit is up to those, wh, I am guessing, hold multiple doctorate degrees in many subjects. (not me). Thus it is easy to not get things correct about somebody's understandings. Others had proposed the touch test and that is why I voiced that opinion. Your method is FAR better. My earlier collection of resistors came from discarded TV sets, which usually yielded at least 24 resistors with adequate lead length. Those were not so random in values , because TV sets did not use the very low values much, nor the very high values. Of course those were all tube circuits (Valves in the UK).

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
to @MisterBill2 Thank you for being candid and truthful to me. Im always to others. Im glad you looked over the data and appreciate the content as being FAR better. Haha. The experiment failed actually, because I can not extend it for those unknown bastards. I can in some degree, but it will still be a guess, a more educated guess than a fart in the wind guess, which is more better. I will probably, in the future, retake this challenge and add a tiny bit to it, I still have 1 or 2 ideas left about it... not definitive and spot on, but I can hit something with my method I have in mind. All based on the data I collected, and on this entire experiment. We'll see, in time. Thank you again for being cool ! And also be free to share your thoughts as crazy as may seem. Thats why I open this discussion in the first place. Cheers to UK.