How to charge a laptop battery using solar panels

mm0hai

Joined May 19, 2012
Did you have any luck with this? I'm trying to do much the same thing.

Currently, I think I'll probably use a smart battery SMBus charger IC and charge the battery externally. I suspect this will be necessary because I don't think the internal charger will work if there is not enough current for a full rate charge. I've not tested this assumption though.

evilclem

Joined Dec 20, 2011
I would put a 12V lead acid in the middle, charge the lead acid with a solar charge regulator and use a standard DC-DC converter to power the laptop.

I would avoid bypassing the laptop charge controller, lithium batteries should never risk being mistreated.

It should be noted that this exercise is only useful if you run your laptop for a few hours a week, otherwise a large solar array is required.

rohitd

Joined Jan 29, 2011
the most important consideration in a laptop chager is the wattage it can provide. if you are charging a laptop from any other source than a specified charger, then you must be able to run the laptop without the battery on that charger. If the charger doesnot match your laptop, you battery doesnt get charged, moreover it gives message regarding that. the battery inside the laptop is a smart battery and canot be altered easily. I have myself played alot on it. to charge the battery efficiently, see the current and voltage ratings on the charger output side and make your charger accordingly. use some secondary source in between as said by 'evilclem'. solar output is never the same even for any 10 seconds!! this will definitely spoil your battery. use BQ2031 regulator for some lead acid battery charging from the solar pannels, from the battery do the charger construction according to charger specs. this will definitely work

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Modern laptops do not accept charging from a non original chargers. It may probably work using the non original charger as current source. But it will not charge