How to build an astable (or other) 555 circuit with a mark/space output that is "space > mark"?

redeyedjim

Joined Jul 14, 2018
I am building a standard 555 astable pulse generation circuit:

1599170134192.png

I am aware that the mark and space qualities of the wave form are set by the relationship of R1, R2, and C1, as per these formulae:

Mark Time = 0.7 × (R1 + R2) × C
Space Time = 0.7 ×(R2) × C

Because "space time" includes "mark time", it isn't possible to use the above circuit to create an output that is space > mark.

My question: is it possible to create a space > mark output from a 555 circuit, and if so, how to do it? If it isn't possible, is there a similar circuit that will permit this sort of output?

Thanks in advance!

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
I am building a standard 555 astable pulse generation circuit:

View attachment 216326

I am aware that the mark and space qualities of the wave form are set by the relationship of R1, R2, and C1, as per these formulae:

Mark Time = 0.7 × (R1 + R2) × C
Space Time = 0.7 ×(R2) × C

Because "space time" includes "mark time", it isn't possible to use the above circuit to create an output that is space > mark.

My question: is it possible to create a space > mark output from a 555 circuit, and if so, how to do it? If it isn't possible, is there a similar circuit that will permit this sort of output?

Thanks in advance!
It is important to note that Tm must be greater than Ts since R1 cannot be 0
ohm
(the minimum is 1k
ohm
).
Many circuits require Tm and Ts to be about equal. This is achieved if R2 is much larger than R1.

redeyedjim

Joined Jul 14, 2018
Thanks! Building a PWM generator was a great suggestion, as it does exactly what I want and is going to be an excellent solution for me. Thank you for suggesting it! Thanks, too, for linking to that particular PWM schematic, which explained how to set frequency as well as duty cycle.

hi jim,
This is a simple way, add an inverting transistor.

E
Thanks! It seems I won't need this at the moment, but that's very clever and I will remember this for the future.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Here is a version of the diode method mentioned in #8 above. Pots P1 nd P2 can be combined into one pot for a version that varies the duty cycle while holding the frequency approximately constant.

Someone on this forum has a large 555 circuits collection.

ak
1599610059799.png

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I felt a disturbance in the farce. You bellowed?

If you wouldn't object to using a comparator I have a 555 circuit the can do between o% to 100% duty cycle with an absolutely rock solid frequency, Interested?

Last edited:

redeyedjim

Joined Jul 14, 2018
Thank you, @Wendy ! For my current needs, the compact 555 PWM circuit shared upthread is perfect! I made a version of it that fits on a 15mm square PCB, including the pot, and it’s great for my needs. Thanks for these suggestions, though - I’ll keep them in mind for future projects.