how to autoswitching audio signals help

undersc0re

Joined Jun 16, 2014
I am looking to buy something that will autoswitch audio between my industrial jobsite radio and my iphone automatically, making the industrial radio the one thats primary and more important. I have all this connected together with heaphone adapters and jacks. It would be nice to buy something compatible with those, or if its simple to build something from scratch I am decent at soldering, I am pretty simple when it comes to electronics, but I can identify a transistor lol. Any ideas, schematics, or a more simpler way to do this would be muchly appreciated, I have searched high and low, maybe I am searching google with the wrong keywords, no idea, this place seemed to be full of wisdom! Thanks! I will upload a picture soon if I can whip something up to help explain what I want.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Hello there, let me see if I understand this. Your radio has a speaker and a handset. So...when someone radios you, it breaks squelch, you hear the speaker.....you pick up handset, it mutes the speaker and you get audio thru the handset. Is that correct? Next...you have an iphone and the iphone headset. You have the iphone headset on so you don't miss a call. But then you can't hear the radio break squelch. Right? No. No. That can't be right...........you'r watching a movie and you can't hear the radio, RIGHT? I knew it. I knew it. Ha. Ha. Ha. "I have all this connected together with heaphone adapters and jacks." Exactly what does that mean? I understand what you want to do. I need to understand what you have done. Be very specific. Tell me each connection you have made and how you change them when you switch. I am assuming you are talking about RX audio and NOT the mic audio. I am assuming the radio is a base unit. Have I got this right?

PRFGADGET

Joined Aug 8, 2011
You might look into "bluetooth" transceivers , but if my understanding of your situation is correct the radio might need to be capable of VOX operation BUT you might also need to be able to mute or disable the vox function on demand just so you do not pass ALL conversation on to the radio channel.
There are several programs which use "SKYPE" to remote interface to ham transceivers but they also require a computer at the radio for that functionality.

PRFGADGET

Joined Aug 8, 2011
As something of an "ADD-ON" to my last posting here.
While looking through my latest issue of "QST" magazine, I came across a review of the "West Mountain, Rig Blaster Blue" interface.
This is a device intended to connect a blue-tooth headset to a transceiver (HAM RADIO) You might want to take a look at this , it might be able to be adapted to your situation.

undersc0re

Joined Jun 16, 2014
Hello there, let me see if I understand this. Your radio has a speaker and a handset. So...when someone radios you, it breaks squelch, you hear the speaker.....you pick up handset, it mutes the speaker and you get audio thru the handset. Is that correct? Next...you have an iphone and the iphone headset. You have the iphone headset on so you don't miss a call. But then you can't hear the radio break squelch. Right? No. No. That can't be right...........you'r watching a movie and you can't hear the radio, RIGHT? I knew it. I knew it. Ha. Ha. Ha. "I have all this connected together with heaphone adapters and jacks." Exactly what does that mean? I understand what you want to do. I need to understand what you have done. Be very specific. Tell me each connection you have made and how you change them when you switch. I am assuming you are talking about RX audio and NOT the mic audio. I am assuming the radio is a base unit. Have I got this right?

That all sounds right, my headphones are connected to a splitter that goes to the iphone and the handset of the base unit which is rx audio. I originally drilled a hole in the handset and ran wires from the little speaker connector to an adapter that I could plug my headphones into........Later I decided I wanted to listen to music so thats when I found out out the iphone music feeds back through to the speakers in the cab and the base unit. I want the music to cut out and only hear the baseunit through the headphones when it is transmitting if possible.......otherwise its plan B, put earbuds from the iphone under the headphones.....just play the music quiet so I will hear the radio, I will just have a bunch of wires hanging from me.