How to Ask Questions

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I came across this pool of wisdom: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

While some of it is geared towards software, a lot is generally applicable. Unfortunately, I fear those who really need it won't read it!

--Rich
That is a very good article Rich, having moderated the forums here for over 5 years I have seen all manner of good and bad questions. The part that I think is the main stumbling block for most people is the part on Describe the goal, not the step:

If you are trying to find out how to do something, begin by describing the goal. Only then describe the particular step towards it that you are blocked on.

Often, people who need technical help have a high-level goal in mind and get stuck on what they think is one particular path towards the goal. They come for help with the step, but don't realize that the path is wrong. It can take substantial effort to get past this.
This is so important. Because there are a million ways to get from A to B, the best way to get someone to appreciate you problem, and hence be able to offer the best advice, is to describe where you are, where you are going and what in between is presenting a block. Questions such as "I need help designing XXXX using XXXX, Pls help" achieves none of this and are the questions least likely to to get any help. We have said many times, if you want help, you first have to help yourself.

Good read, thanks for sharing.

Dave

megawatts

Joined Dec 24, 2008
If I may, using proper grammer, punctuation, and not using all capital letters goes a long way in understanding what is being asked. Spell-chek is our friend.

Also providing all known information concerning the inquiry will eliminate considerable quess work.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Don't forget the tendency of some to use the forum as if they were text messaging on a cell phone. Contrary to what some think, it is not an international language.

megawatts

Joined Dec 24, 2008
Well, here's a thought; maybe "textmessaging" and "shorthand" NOT ALLOWED should be pointed out in the rules of joining this forum? We use enough acronyms in today's language as it is.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It also often happens that the title is just "help" , sometimes even with a lot of p's behind it.
It does not say anything about what they want.
It also often happens that the question starts with "I want a project, I need it tomorrow".
It is not very smart to ask it so late.

I am dutch, but I try to give my best english.

Greetings,
Bertus

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The irony of it all is that those that do not structure their questions clearly and concisely, typically are those that do not get the help they want/need. It really is in the OPs interests to ask questions properly.

Dave

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
As per Dave's invaluable comment, try not to compose and post your problem directly via the forum editor.

Very few can present a case effortlessly and clearly at the first draft. I can't.

Type your problem in a text editor. Go over it and edit it. Think about it before posting. A well edited post will get most attentions.

Have you included your goal or what you want to achieve? This is very important.

State what steps you are trying to achieve your goal and what seems to be the problem?

Would a diagram or circuit helps others to better understand your problem or your "solution"?

If the problem is related to something going HIGH/LOW in different times, can you draw up a simple timing diagram telling which outputs or inputs are suppose to change?

Have you placed the information logically in separate paragraphs instead of a densely packed one half a page long?

Last but not least, think very carefully of a appropriate title. This would catch the eyes of many and give a correct perspective of what to expect in the content. It is also of vital importance for future search and reference by other members.

If you do the above, you are helping others to help yourself.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Last but not least, think very carefully of a appropriate title. This would catch the eyes of many and give a correct perspective of what to expect in the content. It is also of vital importance for future search and reference by other members.
I cannot stress this enough: the title is of utmost importance. One of the most used features of the forums is the New Posts forum searcher which searches for all new posts since your last visit. Many, and I would suggest the majority of, members track down new posts using this feature. If you click the above link you will note it lists the thread titles (and provides a short tooltip of the opening line of the thread); this is how many people will stumble across you post, and the suitability of the title will have a large bearing on whether members will click on that thread and read your question.

Dave