How paper tower hand out?

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Hi All,

When I go to bathroom, and there is auomatic machine give out the tower paper once I put my hand near to that machine. Does anyone know how it work? or any circuit relate to that?

Thanks,
Kevin

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Most of these units work by using reflective infrared sensors that when the emitted IR light is reflected back off of a person's hands, the dispensing motor is triggered to run for a predetermined hand.

hgmjr

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Thanks, hgmjr for reply. It does not call motion detection? How come it not detect too far. I have seen only work once very nera the unit.

Kevin

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
That is on purpose since you want to avoid triggering the towel dispensing whenever a person just walks by the dispenser on his way to the bathroom facilities.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
As a general rule, reflective sensors such as the type used in the paper towel dispenser have a limited range. That is because the sensor relies on the transmitted signal being reflected from a surface that can vary widely back to the detector.

The range can be boosted by using multiple IR emitters together with a detector circuit that boosts the incoming signal. Still 20 inches would requires some fancy circuitry to carry off.

hgmjr