How much headroom for a switching power supply running a bldc motor?

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
I have a bldc motor rated 24v 400w but several places online have said it draws 30 amps. I got feedback recently here that I need to allow a certain amount of headroom for startup since these can draw a lot at first. I was going to use a switching power supply but now I’m not sure if that’s the best option now. Any feedback?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This all depends on the controller, which usually controls initial acceleration etc in a controlled manner, it is not as if you are going to place full voltage/current across the output initially.
If you use just a power supply and no gradual increase in control then it could depend on the internal resistance of the motor and the load current.
Not a normal way to operate.
Max.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
This all depends on the controller, which usually controls initial acceleration etc in a controlled manner, it is not as if you are going to place full voltage/current across the output initially.
If you use just a power supply and no gradual increase in control then it could depend on the internal resistance of the motor and the load current.
Not a normal way to operate.
Max.
It has a built in speed controller, I only need a throttle. It says with the right throttle it goes from 0 to full, so if this is correct, does it mean that the motor won't require a huge draw since it's gradually powering up? I don't plan on having a huge load when it starts.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
If it has a throttle then you can control it accordingly.
Most likely has current limit built in, as often the case.
Max.
Okay, thanks. The controller is a 30 amp controller, so I assume thats the limit? I'm not sure if the motor itself will actually draw that much since its rated 400w