How many jobs have you changed now

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
I consider to change one job now and then ,but at same time worry the next will be not good as this one.
I am a person with dilemma
I despise myself at this side:mad::D:mad::D:mad::D

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
First job: 2.5 years - company got bankcrupt
Second job: 2.5 years - got sick and tired of employers
Third job: 10 years - Had to leave due to some re-organization that didn't suit my family life.
Fourth job(current): I'm into my sixth year...

Sometime I consider to change job. But then I think of all the benefits I have in my current job, and then I leave the though for some months.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Here in America, its usually considered a bad thing to hop around between jobs. Employers are usually looking for someone who will stay with their company for a long time. If they look at your job history and you've had 12 jobs in the past 10 years, they might assume you won't be with the company for long, and not hire you.

I was "working" when I was 10 - I mowed lawns around my neighborhood for 20$/ea, and wheeled a cart around selling cold drinks to construction workers. But I would say my first "real job" was when I was 14 - I worked the summer for my uncle 50hrs/week, being paid what amounted to minimum wage minus $1.5/hr. When I turned 16 I started my "career" as follows:
age 16-18 - Quick lube, changing oil in cars
age 17 - worked as night shift telemarketer for a few months after I got off from quick lube
age 18 - moved to new city, got a job at KFC
age 18 - left KFC and went into the navy
age 18 - 22 - Navy
age 22 - 24 - Worked on offshore rigs. Resigned from my job because I had a serious family emergency that would take a long time to see through, and the company would not grant a leave of absence
age24 - 26 - worked in wire & cable plant as maintenance technician - left there to go to college.
Present - "self employed" - or more accurately "partially employed" while in college - I work maybe 10hrs per week average.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I hope to go to uni and do an electrical and electronic engineering degree. Then when I'm 22, I'll join the RAF and stay for as long as they want me. I'll be happy if I work for more than 15 years with them - hopefully more than 20, but it all depends if they still want me. :)

Then, I hope to work as an engineer on either aircraft or comms with a company like BAe or Rolls Royce, until I retire.

At which point I'll go shooting and fishing every day. :D

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The university student gig has worked pretty well for me so far, in these 5 past years. I 'm getting a bit bored of it lately, though.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
How long do you guys spend at uni?
Colleges and technical schools last from 2 to 4 years, depending on individual criteria. Universities in general last 4 years nominally and polytechnic (engineering) schools have 5. Doctors study during their whole life, practically.

But your period of attendance can last up to 10 years, or 7, if the latest legislation is approved.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
why? you want some fresh air?
Well, I feel that the university has served its purpose in providing me the basic knowledge that I need as an EE and in guiding me to find my inclination towards the field of my choice.

Now I want to get over with it and try my skills in something more hands-on.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
All are ages ...
17: repaired televisions (did house calls) 1970
18-19: did preventive maintenance at a 1000W radio station, engineered talk shows, installed a transmitter at another station as well as installed a new production mixer.
19 - 41: U.S. Coast Guard Electronics Technician ... and retired
41 - Present: Owner ... Contract engineering at a local (40 mi away) radio station (a few years), repaired consumer electronics, repaired Ag related GPS equipment, repaired computers.
45 - 47: Partner in a computer repair service ... company folded (demographics wouldn't sustain it ... lost $17,000)
55 - present (seasonal work) tax preparation
Soon to be: Collecting Social Security (if it's still available in the next few years)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I've been at the current job since 1990. Same location two owners. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=offl&q=21015+SE+Stark+St,+Gresham,OR+97030-2015
The 10 years before that I mainly worked as a program contract engineer with a military equivalent rank of a Navy Lieutenant for SPAWAR.
http://www.public.navy.mil/spawar/Pages/default.aspx

I'm sure some of the ex-navy types have used (the unclassified version of) SNAP II.
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book22/91c.htm

I did most of the WestPAC system certifications and remote service on ships and subs of this system.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
1st - MacDonalds - 16min
2nd - Hobby Shop - 6 months
3rd - Strip Club - 8 years
Current - Prototyping and Rnd 8 years to current.
TOTAL Jobs around : 35.

Last edited: