How many hours of TV do you watch?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
On average, how many hours per day or per week of television do you watch?
I'll start the ball rolling. I watch ZERO hours of TV.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I watch appx 2.5 hrs Monday to Friday (Bones, NCIS and a local talkshow about last weeks news). In the weekend it may be 2-4, if it's a movie involved.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You seem to be in that time in your life,building floats and being invovled.
I know how you feel I built a float,then spent 10 years out in natural
settings. No T.V. ,I was unaware we had a recession in the nineties,I
was not reading newspapers either.I was living a thingmakers live,reacting
to things that were in front of me that day.....more

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I didn't own a TV until I was 26 years old. Too busy with work and school! Now I'm getting old and can't work 17 hours a day. Sometimes TV has something good. Sometimes I don't turn it on for several days in a row. It is not a habit for me. It's what happens, sometimes, when I can't work any more that day.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I quit TV when I entered university. Looking at a screen though, it's a totally different thing. Those hours are countless.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You seem to be in that time in your life,building floats and being invovled.
I know how you feel I built a float,then spent 10 years out in natural
settings. No T.V. ,I was unaware we had a recession in the nineties,I
was not reading newspapers either.I was living a thingmakers live,reacting
to things that were in front of me that day.....more
Yeh, I know what you mean. Yesterday I drove out 2 hours from where I live looking at a potential property out in the sticks for building a home living off-grid. It wasn't quite right, wrong orientation and wrong slope for harnessing solar energy.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Yes,that like Fla. you got north and south... the north part every one want
that dream cabin or farm. There is no work,no money..except the old money
you have in any area.The old money is there to take the visitors money,that
happens every where. North Fla has no-see u'm tiny bugs that can go thru the
small squares of screen wire.You itch all the time,and it a long 3 hour drive,so
if you don't 6 day weekend its a bust.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
On average, how many hours per day or per week of television do you watch?
I'll start the ball rolling. I watch ZERO hours of TV.
It depends on how you define "watching TV". I rarely "watch" TV without doing something else at the same time. The TV may be on something I like, or my wife might be watching something she likes, but my attention on the TV is usually only 10%, at these times. I'm able to block things out when I want to focus on something, much to my wife's chagrin. A good example is in one hour, when I will turn on the Patriot's football right after I mow the lawn. But, I'll be doing some design work on my computer at the same time. Many times halftime will come and I'll realize that I haven't heard one bit of information about the game. But, if the game is close, I may watch the last 5 minutes intently.

There are a few occasions where I truly watch TV exclusively. Lately, it's 1 hour per week, because Dr. Who has been on, but now the season is over. I did the same for Battlestar Galactica and Rome years ago. I actually like to have one show that I can look forward to, but that is not always the case, as I don't like too many shows. Ideally, I would watch 1 hour of TV per week with 100% focus. Sometimes that ideal is met, other times it's not met.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I haven't watched commercial programming since Star Trek and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (couldn't miss Kowalski repairing that equipment closet in less than 5 minutes) since 1969.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My boy is addicted, me not so much. I sit in front of the computer and he watches TV. I do occasionally watch How it's Done, Firefly, Mythbusters, and a few others.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
I watch a lot of movies that’s what I watch in TV most but also Discovery channel have some great stuffs over technology, one of them is not related to tech.. i.e.. Man vs wild, rest in front of my computer, work bench and use less stuff like study for my exams...hate academics...

Bear Grylls from Man vs wild

Last edited:

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I watch ZERO hours of TV.
That's my TV watching too. I gave it up 25-30 years ago after getting sick of seeing commercials. You only need to be a semi-sentient bryophyte to realize the only reason TV exists is to put your eyeballs in front of the advertisers.

OK, I'll admit to watching an occasional football game of the local university -- a few times per year. Besides, life is short and there are so many more interesting things to do...

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
I watch on average per week no more then 30 to 1 hour and 30 minutes a week. I've always got something on my plat these days just to sit around and do nothing. e.g: getting collage setup, finding a job, programming, electronics designing, learning physics and algebra on the side for collage. Surprisingly my algebra knowledge is lacking too much. :/

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I watch a lot of movies that’s what I watch in TV most but also Discovery channel have some great stuffs over technology, one of them is not related to tech.. i.e.. Man vs wild, rest in front of my computer, work bench and use less stuff like study for my exams...hate academics...
It's really too bad that just about everything Bear does is fake.
Well, I'll re-phrase that. What he does is real, but when he claims he's stranded on a desert island, the cameras fail to show the huge resort just upshore. Or the road passing through the jungle. I heard a rumor that there was even once that a McDonald's Happy Meal box blew by the camera, and the editors didn't notice it. Anyway, I just wish he was more authentic in his choices for location :(