How Long Will You Live

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If a actuary had your information,how long would he say you

would live. Do you know what a actuary does,and who uses them.

Do you think this something Loosewire made up.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Some actuaries predict life expectancy for a new-born to be 1000 years.

Theory being that a cure for ageing will be found within the next 100 years, so in the future, people will die of accidents, murder, incurable diseases, etc, rather than old age.

As far as I know, pension predictions do not reflect this speculation.

Life expectancy increases as you get older, especially after teen-age, since you will have learnt to be careful crossing the road, and will have avoided childhood diseases/causes of death.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If you have a pension now a days,they are planning on your six foot party.

How about urning for a hot time on the town tonite.

Did you know that there are Civil War records of pensions being paid to soldiers.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Some actuaries predict life expectancy for a new-born to be 1000 years.

Theory being that a cure for ageing will be found within the next 100 years, so in the future, people will die of accidents, murder, incurable diseases, etc, rather than old age.

As far as I know, pension predictions do not reflect this speculation.

Life expectancy increases as you get older, especially after teen-age, since you will have learnt to be careful crossing the road, and will have avoided childhood diseases/causes of death.
Won't happen. If we lived 1000 years we would over populate the earth in like 20 years. Then you say life expectancy goes up after you pass your teens. We may find in modern times it may actually go down the older you get. Melanoma in people 18-35 is exploding, plus our species is a shoot first ask questions later species so we pump all kinds of pollutants and crazy drugs into our food and everything else. And we have no idea what these things will do to us in 30, 50, 100 years. They've already linked smog to cancer, blood pressure, heart attacks, etc..

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Personally, I intend to live forever. So far, so good :D

Nah, seriously though--I'll probably follow the trend of my elder relatives and leave you all when I'm 92. I think I'd get horribly bored if I lived any longer :p

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Then you say life expectancy goes up after you pass your teens.
Yes. Many 18 year old's will die before they are 50. Zero 50 year old's will die before they are 50.

So life expectancy increases as you get older - think about it.

We may find in modern times it may actually go down the older you get.
So this is wrong by the same argument.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
May be think about it. With all these toxins we ingest now and poisons in the environment we could really see a drastic decrease in life expectancy even though our medicine and the longer you live the more trouble you avoid theory.I just see so many drugs being prescribed to people, then 2 years later commercials saying. "If you to yaz, or darvacet, or warfrin, or Allure, etc... etc... etc.... Call now for your legal settlement" We push drugs on the market way to fast with very little research. We have no idea the long term effects of these, as with pollutants. We don't know what exposure to modern raid spray is gonna do to us when were older or our kids. I'm not saying I'm right or your wrong just another view of how things could shake out. Think of all the power plants we have now. All the chemicals in our drinking water,.....

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
May be think about it. ....... I'm not saying I'm right or your wrong .....
I think you are missing what I am saying.

I was not expressing any kind of view at all. I was trying to express the following:

Life expectancy increases with age. This is not an opinion of mine, it is a mathematical fact. I think you are thinking maybe of deaths per year rather than life expectancy.

Some actuaries (perhaps very few) consider that there may be a cure for old age in a few decades time, and that leads to statistics (lies, damn lies and statistics) that show average life expectancy of 1000 years (an actuaries calculation not mine). I did refer to this as "speculation" later, which I guess is where my opinion comes in.

I do not think the 1000 year scenario is likely either. I just thought the possibility, and the thinking behind it, to be fascinating. After all, if there were to be an "immortality" pill developed that cost say, $5, was available to all, and had no medical side-effects, how many of the 6 billion planet's inhabitants would use it? In my view, I think this scenario unlikely, but thinking about the consequences if it did happen is interesting to me.

Looks like DerStrom8 will be taking the pill, and monster_catfish and I will not :)

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Under normal circumstances life expectancy increases as you get older, but with some miracle drug it could change.
Say the new drug slows aging by 10 times and everyone started taking it tomorrow.
A 20 year old would normally expect to live another 60 years, but would now live for 600 years more.
A 50 year old would expect to live for 30 years, but would live an extra 300 years.

It seems a bit unlikely to me, it would require a level of genetic alteration that might never be possible for whole populations.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I think you are missing what I am saying.

I was not expressing any kind of view at all. I was trying to express the following:
I understand what your saying. I'm just saying as we pollute the earth and load our food and water with chemicals that life expectancy could drop rather then keep increasing.As I was saying we don't know the effects of these drugs and pollutants over decades whats this gonna do to our babies. We may see an explosion of cancer in people of all ages. I know for fact over the past 10 years melanoma has increased 800%. in people under 35.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Max ,the young is caught off guard,they don't get the proper care.

Melanomas's can pop up in many places on the body during a short period

of time. Not sure about being blood related,not sure if it could do that without

the bloodstream. So people are told to look at dark mole,there a lot more too it.

Have someone check the parts of your body you can't see.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yah, my ancestory makes me get mole checks every 6 months because of my lineage. Just recently 2 family members had melanoma scares within a month of each other. I was shocked how much flesh they have to take out for a small mole. Its amazing a lil skin blimesh can leave you with a hole and 4 inch scar. But with melanoma increasing in our younger people I'm sure other cancers and sicknesses will follow, lord forbid we had some sort of epidemic or plague inside the US.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Its getting there,maybe our alert may have some of these young people

learn to get checkups. The Walgreens nurses would be a start,nurses are

very good,more deciated than doctors.