How Long Were You A Visitor Before You Signed Up For The A.A.C. Forum

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
About as long as it took for the email to come back to approve registration. I had been looking for a site like this from day one.

Last edited:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
To me I was the other way round. I registered on 2010, then became a visitor. And I started posting one year later. I enjoy reading the posts here but I have not encounter any serious problem that I wanted to ask..... yet.

Allen

alphaOri

Joined Jan 13, 2013
Just registered. I've been an occasional visitor since I started my engineering degree 6 years ago but became a more frequent visitor this month as I've started a new project. And this is my first post :)

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I wasn't a regular visitor before I joined, but AAC has a habit of turning up in search results so I probably saw a few pages years before.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't remember anymore. Since the e-book is free, I guess a thread with an attachment must have caught my attention. I must have been at least a few months before I became regular.

NicksonYap

Joined Jan 13, 2013
I was a visitor for 1 minute or two then I became a member :p

I was trying to post a question in some electronics forum, clicked this link on Google and it did not load completely then I went to look for 'popular electronics forums'
And this was one of it so I registered and then I posted my question here :)

So I was a visitor for a minute and became member without reading any posts and became a member.

Few moments after that, I realize that there were some lessons and lectures posted in this site and they were pretty nice :D

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
To me I was the other way round. I registered on 2010, then became a visitor. And I started posting one year later. I enjoy reading the posts here but I have not encounter any serious problem that I wanted to ask..... yet.
Same as Allen. I registered in 2009 but didn't start posting until a year later.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Interesting question loosie. I don't know the answer as they culled the database ... or it certainly would have been a very large database since Sep 10, 2003.

I did go to the wayback machine and found these trivia tidbits ...

June 8, 2003 ... first recorded in the wayback machine. There was no forum link.
October 14, 2003 ... first recorded forum link for AAC in the wayback machine.
November 11, 2003 ... first recorded forum hompage for AAC in the wayback machine.

By all indications at http://web.archive.org/web/20031111024950/http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/index.php ... the first recorded postings by jrap were Sep 10, 2003 about 7:36 pm. It is also noted there were a whopping 50 members.

The most users online was 8, on Nov 5th, 2003, at 1:54 pm

Time to plan the "decade" celebration. A hearty thanks is sent to jrap for his decade of service.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm not sure. Actually I'm confused now. I seem to remember accessing this forum for many years. I had a look at my first post, and it seems strangely recent.

The way I remember it, I came here a few years ago and asked on question. Then it was a long time I didn't come back. Next time I needed and answer, I came back, and again and again with more frequently, until I was a regular member.

Perhaps I forgot my user name once and created a new account. I don't remember doing this, and if this were the case, my current name should be strantor1 or something.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I did a search for something that brought me here. I signed up the first day to have the ability to see a drawing someone had posted concerning what I was looking for. And here I am..

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I was looking for a website that discussed electronics beyond the "which Apple product should I buy, i-object 4S, or i-object 4P?" on Google Currents and found the RSS feed to this site. After viewing a couple threads, I decided it was time to respond to someone and joined.

So, it was about an hour before I decided to speak up...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I was a longtime member of "Electro-tech-online" but that site got overrun with trolls, and the moderators were do-nothing derelicts. I browsed a few other electronic related forums and settled on this one in just a few minutes.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I was first a member on Electro-Tech-Online (Joined in August of 2010) after doing a google search for "Electronics Forums". At the time I figured 1 forum was enough, but in February of 2011 one of our mutual members, Electronerd, asked if I was a member here. I hadn't heard of AllAboutCircuits, so I looked it up and liked what I saw. I registered almost immediately. I'm still an active member on both forums.

I may have stumbled across AAC a few times in my research for projects back between 5-10 years ago (not sure exactly when this forum got its start), but never thought to join.

In a sense I agree with BrownOut, that the site (Electro-Tech) got overrun with trolls, but I would have to disagree with his statement about the moderators. However, I have noticed that the mods here are much quicker and more strict when it comes to trolls and spammers, and for that I am very grateful.

Matt

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
BrownOut..I would have to disagree with his statement about the moderators.
Matt
I waited for years, putting up with thier 'do nothing' attitudes with trolls and members who only wanted to distract and disrupt. I hoped it would eventually get better... it only got worse. I finally had enough.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I waited for years, putting up with thier 'do nothing' attitudes with trolls and members who only wanted to distract and disrupt. I hoped it would eventually get better... it only got worse. I finally had enough.
I know exactly what you're talking about, but I can't blame the mods. I blame the rules for being too vague. According to the TOS at the time, the "trolls" were not technically breaking any rules, though they should have been treated as such. It still happens now and then, but again, I can't blame the moderators. Personally, I think the TOS should be re-written to be more specific.

Just my opinion. Sorry for derailing this thread :p