How long to wait before plugging in oscilloscope?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am expecting a analog oscilloscope to come in from UPS tomorrow. I plan to work half a day and hopefully be home when the scope arrives.

I am guessing the truck will be heated but there is no telling how long it might have been sitting out on a cold loading dock.

It is 29F right now and I do't expect it wi;; be much warmer tomorrow. Any idea how long I should wait before I turn on the scope?

This is my second one from eBay. I sure hope this one works as advertised. :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Leave a closed bottle or Mason jar outside overnight. Bring the bottle/jar in when the 'scope arrives, and watch it for 20 minutes. If there is no moisture on the outside of the bottle or jar, then open up the box your scope was packaged in.

If there is moisture on the jar/bottle, I'd leave it in the box unopened for a good eight hours. Otherwise, it might take a while for the moisture to evaporate once it condenses on a cold 'scope.

No sense in stressing it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Leave a closed bottle or Mason jar outside overnight. Bring the bottle/jar in when the 'scope arrives, and watch it for 20 minutes. If there is no moisture on the outside of the bottle or jar, then open up the box your scope was packaged in.

If there is moisture on the jar/bottle, I'd leave it in the box unopened for a good eight hours. Otherwise, it might take a while for the moisture to evaporate once it condenses on a cold 'scope.

Thanks

It is going to be hard waiting for eight hours to play with my new toy. :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The thing is, you don't want moisture condensing on/in it.

If your bottles/etc don't have moisture on them when you do the test, then go ahead and open the box. Then let it warm up for a couple of hours at least.

No sense in hurrying things. I know you're anxious. Haste might just make waste.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008

EXCELLENT advise...