How long do you want to live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I prefer not to live till I can't remember things.
I prefer not to be a burden to my children.
I prefer to live as long as I can work and walk.

How about you?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
To the point at which I stop becoming useful to society and become a burden - such as having to be continuously on life support. If I live to 120, which may well be possible in the future, but require a hundred pills a day to stay alive, what point is there?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Did you know the average life of a human is down by at least 100%
Life expectancy has doubled in the last 200 years in almost all of the world due to modern medicine and science becoming commonplace.

If you quote a holy book as evidence Rifaa, it will end up as another of those religious threads. According to biblical scholars, Adam lived 900 years+, if he even existed. I find it hard to believe.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
No tom...I do not want to provide evidence. Still you are misinformed on tht too. I like to correct you by saying Adam was not the one who lived that long.

Did you say modern medicine doubles human life...I think it was herbal medicine that at least let's u live till 100

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
By the way..I saw in nat geo that a boy was preserved using some kind of chemical. It was child, is this true?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
No tom...I do not want to provide evidence. Still you are misinformed on tht too. I like to correct you by saying Adam was not the one who lived that long.

Did you say modern medicine doubles human life...I think it was herbal medicine that at least let's u live till 100
It's difficult to find data but here's data for the United States from 1850 to 2000. As can be seen life expectancy (at birth) increased from around 37 years to 75 years, which is even faster than doubling over 200 years. Although it does show that if you managed to live long enough, medicine has less of an effect, due to the relatively small increase in the other two curves.

Data for U.S. White Males, according to author. Source: http://www.nanomedicine.com/Papers/ImmInst2004.html/

By the way..I saw in nat geo that a boy was preserved using some kind of chemical. It was child, is this true?
Experiments have shown that the human body can survive amazing things. There is a story of a young girl who survived almost 1.5 hours without oxygen to her brain with only mild confusion; she probably survived due to hypothermic temperatures in the water and quick medical attention.

Attachments

Last edited:

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Life expectancy has doubled in the last 200 years in almost all of the world due to modern medicine and science becoming commonplace.

If you quote a holy book as evidence Rifaa, it will end up as another of those religious threads. According to biblical scholars, Adam lived 900 years+, if he even existed. I find it hard to believe.
Now, please, below is a scholarly discussion, not a religious one. Treat as such.

IIRC from my studies, Genesis was thought to originally have been scribed in ancient Aramaic and compiled from tales in other, older languages. Again, If my recollection serves me, there is some reason for the scholars to believe the ages quoted for the sons of Adam, all the way to Noah, were a mistranslation of a period more like a month in length (a moon possibly). This would put Methuselah’s actual age at something more like 77-81, depending on the translation. Which for that period would have been a ripe old age indeed.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
What's wrong with you people...?

I simply asked how long do you wish to live.

MY answer was simple.
If I am strong and walk I want to live even at the age 100.
But If I were to lie down and let other feed you, I'd rather die...

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
the key word is LIVE!
Thats correct.

I want to live until I cant anymore.

I would love to live to 100 years of age.

As long as I can still taste food, feed and bath myself, and crack jokes.

I have no age at which I want to be gone by.. I have a state of being I wish to be gone by.

A quality of life.

If life has no quality, then thats a good time to go.

There comes complications. For instance, If I were in a coma, I would have no quality of life. BUT it would be possible that I COULD have it again.

So I suppose I would be more clear to say:

"If there is no chance for a quality life, then I am ready to go."

I do not want to be living like a pet that should have died 2 years ago, but the owner was too selfish and kept it alive, even though it cant even poop on its own. Food must be soft..And bland.. Non-seasoned rice and chicken. And in pain from deteriorated joints EVERY moment of every day.

Ugg.

So once I cant "LIVE" anymore, thats when I want to die.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I agree with VooDoo,live till you die "live" I do.I have no plans of checking out
and test my body with youthful things everyday. If I had to give an opinion
on living longer,it would be no smoking and drinking and keep active. We all
don't have choices or have missed making good choices. Genenetics is the
greatest killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.