How LEDs Are Made

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
That is fascinating, but I wonder how representative it is. I guess I expected a larger and more automated assembly line.
That IS an automated assembly line in China :D
The reason they didn't mind showing them around on their "day off" is that all the workers sleep in the factory bunk house anyways..

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
With chinese help, the US can make cheap LEDs soon- imagine US workers placing the tiny die for each LED manually!

U.S. workers, don't have time for such menial work.:D

Actually, the best factory workers have always been Female.

They don't mind the repetition of production work.
Especially, intricate, high speed, concentration intensive; machinery.:cool:

I did that at first, then I got into mechanical design, and Millwright, Tool and Die work.:cool:

Always something different and challenging.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I too suffer from repetition aversion. My normal attention span for repetitive stuff is a couple of days. For interesting stuff, it is about 3 years. Right now, I'm wondering when my desire to post at AAC will wane. I have been posting here for more than 3 years, and it's not just a habit...it's interesting. Perhaps my life long involvement in electronics is an indicator of why I enjoy AAC. I already had way more than 3 years in before I found this site. Now, I use it to keep my brain from getting rusty. :D

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I was thinking normally LEDs are made by machines.
Aligning millions of LEDs manually? Is this really happening or just for pilot/preseries?

Also how can you manipulate under a microscope in less than a second, including to pick the tiny die?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Aligning millions of LEDs manually? Is this really happening or just for pilot/preseries?
Millions of Chinese hands and eyes.

ETA: I just looked at the Sparkfun pages again. Here's the quote.

"We were told they can align over 80 per minute or about 40,000 per day."

That probably means the line can align this many, not each worker.