How is it done?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
He's not a fraud, he's a magician. Complain about his soldering job all you want, but he did it in front of the camera. His component look a little off, but not so much to trigger any alarms.

After wiring the circuit in front of us he proceeded to do something we would say was impossible, yet we don't know how he did it (and neither do you). His audience is very specialized, but knowledgeable. Magicians make good money my friend, and it is a time honored profession. They are performers, as is he.

Most people love a good magic trick, and this was well done. My hat is off to him.

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
The video did not amazed me in any way.
and I am not going to think about it and waste my time over a trick.
I got better things to do then fool people.
Like waste your time writing 3 posts about something you're not interested in? --

If you 're not interested in puzzles, why bother?

Hey ho, takes all sorts I guess........

Last edited:

jrm

Joined Oct 11, 2011
Fascinating... I can't tell form the fuzzy image but it appears that L3 has something soldered between the legs. I'm guessing L3 is reversed and it's a diode underneath. Sw3 has an LC circuit in it and the others have zeners. All three LEDs have different VF with L3 being the lowest. L3 lit with flyback from the LC circuit. Closing the others switches exceeds the breakdown voltage of the zeners lighting the appropriate LED.

I'm just a hack so it's ok to laugh away. I have no idea if any this is plausible :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bill ...there is no such thing as Magic...

Just illusions...

You should no better.
Really, and you've never heard of famous magic acts. Harry Houdini doesn't ring a bell. How about Penn & Teller? David Copperfield, Siegfried and Roy? I could go on, but all of these are popular stage magicians, some have had their own TV shows.

This could be cultural, it is not real magic, but a stage act, and very very popular in the west. You may want to google some of these names.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
As an electronics hobbyist and former part-time illusionist, may I suggest that everyone is looking at this way too complicated?

We see him solder together a circuit. Then we see him spread it out on the table - switches facing up as are the LEDs. There is some support to the idea that there is a cut in the video.

Simply put - what if the components you are seeing are not connected the way you "saw" them put together? I would connect them via thin wires through the paper to a microcontroller underneath at the most complex or perhaps with a simpler circuit. With this set up, the rest is easy.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I no want to taak to you bad peeple...
U peeple ar baad to tha bone.......y r u alweys piking on me...i dunno eglis propaly...

i hat u all..!!

{ed}
IT'S NOT A FREAKIN' TYPO DUM DUMS...............I DID THAT ON PURPOSE.

Besides if it was I would have corrected it and said typo in the reason space.
You stupid stupid stinkin picking people. :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Really, and you've never heard of famous magic acts. Harry Houdini doesn't ring a bell. How about Penn & Teller? David Copperfield, Siegfried and Roy? I could go on, but all of these are popular stage magicians, some have had their own TV shows.

This could be cultural, it is not real magic, but a stage act, and very very popular in the west. You may want to google some of these names.
I am shocked Bill......Do you really think Magic is real ? :eek:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The nose you tweak could be your own. It's not nice to mess with moderators. Less see, where are those controls anyhow?

Note: this was a takeoff of some commercials that were pretty funny a couple of years ago, It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
What controls... and what does Mother Nature got to do with you trying to find the controls..

Wait...Are you doing some voodoo from way over there to me....?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Bill ...there is no such thing as Magic...

Just illusions...

You should no better.
The reason Penn & Teller made the British TV show "Fool Us" was because they are master magicians, and wanted to feel the joy and wonder of seeing a NEW trick, not something they already knew how to do.

Penn says: “Nothing would give me or Teller more pleasure than to hand over Vegas tickets to someone – anyone – who has the nerve to stand in front of us, monkey with us, leave us baffled and ultimately blow us away with their brilliance. That would be a dream. We SO want that to happen! Magic is always evolving with different performers constantly innovating. We believe there are performers out there who can do it so we've sent out this challenge. And if they can fool us we're taking them to Vegas to perform!”
So, that youtube video is a "fool us" episode for electronics geeks.

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
So, that youtube video is a "fool us" episode for electronics geeks.
Absolutely! - and very good it is.:)
Over 100,000 hits, and still folks guessing how it's done.

What is surprising is just how angry some folk, both here and on other forums, seem to get about it.
Weird!