how hard is it to calibrate a fluke meter?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You don't calibrate something like a fluke. You check it's calibration, if it is out you have several simple choices. Usually it involves throwing it away. I have served my stint as a metrology tech, calibrating oscopes, freq synthesizers, counters, and (oh yeah) DVMs. Usually anything that would make them go out of tolerance destroys them. The basic stuff, like using the ohms scale to measure voltage, hopfully the fuse will save the meter. It is part of the quality you are paying for.

I have to agree, the eBay deal has left the realm of a DVM. It's not even a good oscope, and I paid around $90 for a really good oscope last time I bought one. Resist impulse buying, it is not good for the credit scores. Just because a seller on eBay says it is a good deal doesn't mean squat.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Save you from yourself?

I'll try.

1) I have never needed a scope for field work and I have a REAL scope on my work bench.
Do you need a portable scope meter for your work?
No I don't need it. That was the question I asked myself last night, and the answer was no so I went to bed. It was just a matter of what I need costs about 150-250$ and this thing has so much more features for just a little more money. It was becoming very easy for me to justify the purchase in my mind.

All I need is a meter that measures resistance, current ac+dc, voltage ac+dc, capacitance (several flukes only go up to 5uf; want one of the models that goes up to 10,000uF), diode, and frequency - Accurately, every time. min max function would be nice.

I almost bought a fluke 77 IV last night for 45$. Ran across it with 4min left on the clock. checked the specs; it doesn't measure below 600Ω, 60mA, and 600mV. Now why would they make a meter like that? Especially when the 77 III went all the way to zero?

That question is hard to understand. How is the AC current reading? It's good. Very dependable. Just set the knob to AC current, move the red test lead to the "current" hole, and measure.

I expect my meter just assumes a sine wave and tells me alleged sine wave RMS current. Other models can do "really" RMS.
Using the radio shack cheap model of about $34.00 I noticed that it didn't have a a.c. current scale and the a.c. scale in general only had 10,000 input impedance,which is giving me some problems measuring any thing above 10,000 Ω.Especially when there is a resistor component of about 20,000Ω or higher that is in series with what I am measuring above 10,000 or more. Based on my experience with this meter I am learning what is needed for an average function meters.That is having a.c.current scale and a very large input resistance on both scales a.c. and D.C. After reading the threads inside this Post, It seems as though its just a matter of price.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I used my £20 meter to rather stupidly measure 230V on ohms, but it didn't have a problem with it. It made the display show random nonsense, but no long-lasting effects, and no calibration drift. Mastech did something right. BK meter is also good on mains. I think it is specified in the manual too.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
strantor, I think you should go to the Fluke website, find the right model for you, and watch for one to become available. Pick a target first so you aren't tempted to get the wrong one just bc it's a "deal".

You can also pick a model in a different brand and put that on your list of targets.

Robotics Guy

Joined Mar 11, 2011
You can get Fluke mulitimeters on ebay that still work well pretty cheaply. I got my Fluke 77 III on ebay for $67 bucks and it works perfectly.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Fluke 189 specs:

SpecificationsVoltage DCAccuracy* ± (0.025%+5)
Max. Resolution 1 µV
Maximum 1000 V
Voltage ACAccuracy* ± (0.4%+40)
Max. Resolution 1 µV
Maximum 1000 V
Current DC
Accuracy* ± (0.15%+2)
Max. Resolution 0.01 µA
Maximum 10 A
Current AC
Accuracy* ± (0.75%+5)
Max. Resolution 0.01 µA
Maximum 10 A
ResistanceAccuracy* ± (0.05%+2)
Max. Resolution 0.01 Ω
Maximum 500 MΩ
CapacitanceAccuracy* ± (1.0%+5)
Max. Resolution 1 pF
Maximum 50,000 µF
FrequencyAccuracy* ± (0.005%+1)
Max. Resolution 0.01 Hz
Maximum 1 MHz
TemperatureAccuracy* ± (1.0%+1°C)
Max. Resolution 0.1°C
Range -200°C to 1350°C
ConductanceAccuracy* ± (1%+10)
Max. Resolution 0.01 nS
Maximum 500 nSdBm and dBV
Accuracy* ± 0.1 dB
Max. Resolution 0.01 dB
Range -52 to 60 dB
Note* Accuracies are best accuracies for each function

Environmental SpecificationsOperating Temperature -20 °C to +55 °CStorage Temperature -40 °C to +60 °CHumidity (Without Condensation) 0% to 90% (0 °C - 35 °C) 0% to 70% (35 °C - 55 °C)

Safety SpecificationsOvervoltage category EN 61010-1 to 1000 V CAT III. EN 61010-1 to 600 V CAT IV.Agency Approvals CSA, UL, TÜV, VDE Pending

Mechanical & General SpecificationsSize 203 x 100 x 50 mmWeight 545 gWarranty LifetimeBattery LifeAlkaline: ~72 hours typical, without backlight

Everything I need and more. This is the 2nd best fluke meter I have used, not including a scopemeter. only slightly more than I originally wanted to spend. my wishful budget was not to exceed 100$

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I have got a BK 2709B.

Cap range goes up to 66,000uF.

1kV maximum volts. 6600 counts. Backlit LCD. Range hold, data hold, rel/zero. Working continuity.

Not as accurate as the fluke though.

New for about $100.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
That looks like a very good meter. I think I'm jealous.
It's alot better meter than the 867 graphical meter that I fell in love with the other night. That 867, after closer look at the specs, looked like it wasn't a great multimeter or o-scope.