How feasible do you think this is?

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
I am looking to build a 12/24V output battery charger for LA batteries with a "universal" input voltage ranging from 100-277VAC.

Most likely a few different models will have to be created, but I am trying to see if I am overlooking something.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You might have a look at Texas Instruments' UC2909/UC3909 switch mode lead-acid battery charger IC.

You'd need another PWM controller for the 100vac-277vac down conversion.

See the datasheet.

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
Can you explain why I'd need a PWM controller? The 100-277 VAC is the input voltage range that I want to work with.

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
Thanks for the help, Sgt. Wookie.

So far I have an idea of how I am going to power the individual 12 and 24V charging circuits. I am determining which regulators I am going to go with and going to do some testing with LT Spice. But, I can't get past the issue regarding the input voltage range that I am working with. If you don't mind, would you be able to offer some places where I can read up PWM an ac signal?

dha

Joined Dec 25, 2008
Look up the topic of buck regulators in google. You have to use buck regulation if you don't have a step-down transformer otherwise you are going to have a dangerous situation and a lot of heat. Basically, you need a switching type regulator, another topic to google.

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
I've been doing more research on parts and it seems that I might have make several models. Obviously, I wanted to make just one model to work with my universal input voltage to charge 12 and 24V batteries. I just can't find any transformers to work at such a wide range.

I will read up on buck regulators/converters now.

Thanks!