How does this battery work in this dremel?

foolios

Joined Feb 4, 2009
There are 4 contact points in the battery:

I did not seem to be able to rotate the inside like I assumed it was spinning, but I think that would be too much more movement than is actually happening anyways. Dunno for sure.

How do these contacts pair up?

And why the two positives on one side and two negatives on the other?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It looks to me like the + and - ends are connected in series by the diagonal connector strip.

Presumably, that is high speed. I am surprised, as were you, that the blue ring doesn't rotate to give a parallel orientation for low speed/higher power. Is there a locking collar that prevented doing that?

John

wii552

Joined Dec 2, 2009
i am pretty sure it rotates, as there is a circular marking o the battery- like there was something rubbing on it

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nope, it doesn't rotate. That is probably meant to be some sort of universal contactors. Is that the battery that came with the unit, the angle you offer doesn't show. It looks a lot like one of my Dremels.

foolios

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I will mess with it again to see if the inside will move.

So, if it does move, then the contacts are making it turn kinda like a generator with magnets rotating?

I am surprised that it was designed like this. I have barely used this dremel, but it would appear that the contacts won't last long from all the friction. It seems like the batteries will get beat up. But then again I guess the plastic part doesn't really matter much as long as the contacts are there.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It doesn't rotate continuously like a generator/dynamo. You rotate it only to change between low and high speed. That is, when the cells are in series it is high speed; when parallel, it is low speed.

John