How does the strength of an electrical field vary with the distance from it?

Theophila

Joined Nov 20, 2014
I thought we were always on EMFs. There are hundreds of comments on Amazon (for the EMF detector) that indicate EMS (electro-magnetic sensitivity) is a wide-spread and growing problem that has led to severe disability, in some cases, among its sufferers.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm not opting into this discussion, but it is important to remember when there is fear there will be folks selling snake oil. Be very careful whom you choose to trust.

Obola has quite a few cures (not), but there are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon to make money with various nostrums, and they don't really care whom they hurt.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Theophila,
Man has intentionally and un-intentionally put electronic fields and waves into our environment for almost 100 years now.
The early experimenters used very high voltages and very broad signals.
None ever became sick like Madam Curie. In 100 years, no one has been documented to have suffered from our signals.
Think of all the lives that have been saved by electricity.
Think of all the people warmed by electricity.
Think of all the drudgery that is eliminated with electricity. Most drudgery was female work.
Think of just one job it does for us. Water. Without electricity, think of the amount of time it would take each day just to acquire water. How would you like to carry the water you used each day?
Of all of our inventions.....electricity has had the biggest pay-off.

So far it is our most valuable blessing.

Any pre-electric ancestor would gladly trade there life for yours.

Use it. Enjoy it. and be thankful that you have it.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm a home buyer, reluctant to buy too near those high tension towers. They usually give me a headache when I drive under them.
As noted, the obvious solution is to avoid such properties when you buy. What are you hoping to accomplish by quantitating the field strength, to estimate some acceptable distance? Regardless of what you might learn about the field, this will tell you nothing about YOU, and you are the variable.

I suggest that, if you can see the towers, that alone might be enough to remind you that you live "too close" and you'll get your headaches. Then when you try to sell, you'll learn why the property seemed like a bargain when you bought it - because other folks don't want to live by those towers either.

I'm a big fan of using numbers and I often offer this, one of my favorite quotes:
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin

But in this case, I don't think the numbers have any bearing on your home buying decision.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
If the frequency of the current on a power line is low, ( which 60 probably is in this case ) there will be both a magnetic and electric field, but usually can be will modeled by thinking of them as static fields that change with time ( a typical sort of paradoxical assumption ). That means you ccan use the equations for the field away from a line of charges to compute their field ( indirectly using the voltage of the line ) and the magnetic field using the field from a long straight wire. You will have to have some way of guessing the current, it could be 0 or close to it. What I am saying is you can use the field equations for statics rather than than the full set of maxwell's equations.