How does it work - inverter generators

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
i believe only steam engines can be producing max torque at 0 rpm.

or a full voltage/amprage, STALLED electric motor would be also at full torque when at 0 rpm but rapidly over heating and burning up

Last edited:

withoutego

Joined Dec 22, 2015
I do understand conversion loss and what seems obvious...ie energy is
lost going from gas to electrical, 30% maybe?

But, one of my considerations is that where I am Lithium ion batteries
are hard to come by, the shipping. And SLA (sealed lead acid) are heavy.
If I'm Using heavy SLA & not Lithium for 2KW the weight penalty is huge.
2KW is only about 35 lb with some of these small generators.

That's not much weight vs SLA of 2KW x 4 hours. The generator runs four hours,
that's a capacity of 8 KWH. Not bad for 35 lb of overhead. Efficiency isn't always
the deciding criteria. And, gas is subsidized here in Ecuador.

Not trying to save the Earth, just to get up a hill. Maybe a 1500 Watt BLDC on a bicycle.

But the balance tips If I have to do much to bring the power down to 72 or 96 Volts DC.

Would a 1500 Watt BLDC motor tolerate PWM from a 180V DC source? in effect a
buck converter with the windings of the motor the inductor(s). I suppose it would - if the
controller were careful and also sensed the winding temperatures, keeping things inside
the SOE (safe operating envelope). Thoughts?

theoldwizard

Joined Jul 17, 2005
... or a full voltage/amprage, STALLED electric motor would be also at full torque when at 0 rpm but rapidly over heating and burning up
Only if it STAYS stalled !

Current will be several times the "rated" current. This is usually call LRA - "Locked Rotor Amperage".

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
i believe only steam engines can be producing max torque at 0 rpm.

or a full voltage/amprage, STALLED electric motor would be also at full torque when at 0 rpm but rapidly over heating and burning up
If the motor is used in its Continuous torque range it can be stalled indefinably, it is when the maximum torque range is entered it can overheat if more than a short period.
Motor specs, especially PM motors etc have a manufacturers spec showing the extent of each range and the Torque (current) figure for each.
Max.