How does any company like Intel make micro controller?

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I am student I don't have much knowledge about chip designing process. I have simple query

How does any company like Intel make micro controller ?
I have done little work.
-first they will decide features for controller
-they will decide software tool I don't know which one
- they will write code (verilog or vhdl)
-they will make schematic diagram for controller
-they will make layout design
- physical design (fabrication process and packing )

(features-code-simulation-testing-verification-chip)

I know that's not enough, I am not sure, that I am going to correct way but anyone can share the design Idea how they will start designing ?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Yes that is about the way they would approach it. However the design process is not a straight line from features to physical design. It goes back in loops to change and improve the previous steps based on the results of the next step. For example they find out that the physical chip is too big, slow, or power hungry, so they have to go back and change something in the specification or implementation to meet their goals.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
They also have to make sure that the rogue circuits they are compelled to include work properly...
Paranoid Pete ??? I don't think so...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
And then new, enabling technologies come along and a re-design is done to exploit the latest state-of-the-art technologies.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Then there is legal action and if they are a very big company they buy the little company if they can't stop them in court.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I am little bit confused on following things
1) what is functional design design for micro controller?
2) what is logic design for micro controller ?

3)does anyone know which latest tool is used to design controller?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I am little bit confused on following things
1) what is functional design design for micro controller?
2) what is logic design for micro controller ?

3)does anyone know which latest tool is used to design controller?
Look in the datasheet, microchip Pic16f877 for example. There is a nice block diagram for each functional unit in each chapter. I/o pins, ADC, timers, comparators, and the Counter that steps through each line of code.

There is a lot there! Why do you ask, are you thinking about building one?

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Look in the datasheet, microchip Pic16f877 for example. There is a nice block diagram for each functional unit in each chapter. I/o pins, ADC, timers, comparators, and the Counter that steps through each line of code.

There is a lot there! Why do you ask, are you thinking about building one?
Yes you are correct, what is functional design and digital design

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am student I don't have much knowledge about chip designing process. I have simple query

I have done little work.

I know that's not enough, I am not sure, that I am going to correct way but anyone can share the design Idea how they will start designing ?
The real answer to this is that they started in 1971 to get to where they are today. Just think vead if you start now you might get there in 2057!!

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
The real answer to this is that they started in 1971 to get to where they are today. Just think vead if you start now you might get there in 2057!!
I know it's not easy but I think batterer to do something then to do nothing

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I know it's not easy but I think batterer to do something then to do nothing
Well of course it is. They didn't get there in a short span of time and neither will you. The patient application of time and pressure will carve out large canyons.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Instead of dreaming of superduper microcontrollar which maybe in some years will become reality- what about working out something you can do, and can understand?

Start small, collect results, and then try more complex designs.

Mostly you can ditch the schematic thinking you'll see. I still have not seen any work you have done or any blog/website/picture.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009

I have done little work.

You should give Brian Halla a call. When he took over as CEO of national Semiconductor about ten years ago, his mission was to sell off one of the most productive analog companies on earth to raise capital to make a microprocessor company to "beat" Intel at the game of building uPs. The name of his new company was Cyrix.

Three billion wasted dollars later, he gave up.

I sure hope you are not planning on doing the same thing.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You should give Brian Halla a call. When he took over as CEO of national Semiconductor about ten years ago, his mission was to sell off one of the most productive analog companies on earth to raise capital to make a microprocessor company to "beat" Intel at the game of building uPs. The name of his new company was Cyrix.

Three billion wasted dollars later, he gave up.

I sure hope you are not planning on doing the same thing.
AMD is damn near dead after all these years of competing with Intel. Microchip (formerly General Instrument) actually did it right. They've come a long way in 20 years since the PIC165x.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
AMD is damn near dead after all these years of competing with Intel. Microchip (formerly General Instrument) actually did it right. They've come a long way in 20 years since the PIC165x.
What people don't realize is that Intel is always several generations ahead of everybody else..... and ahead of what they are selling. Halla and his buddy gave up after they did an experiment: they bought a new computer with an Intel processor and started cranking up the clock speed and found out it could easily run about 50% faster than the stated speed and WAYYY faster than anything anybody else could build. Intel "feeds" it's performance increases to the market as needed to create new business. Anybody who thinks they can beat intel is delusional IMHO.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
ARM seems to be keeping up (leading) intel. A completely different business model (outsourced manufacturing) but the iPhone/iPad and many other smartphones are using them. Intel does a good job in
PCs and laptops but ARM seems to have the mobile market.

As for our OP, what is wrong/missing from the current offerings in the marketplace?

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I am reading with basic. I am collecting Information about processor , memory , I am reading datasheet but there is problem, can anyone tell me If there is many option how I can select particular one what are the basic step what basics we use to select one