How does any company like Intel make micro controller?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am reading with basic. I am collecting Information about processor , memory , I am reading datasheet but there is problem, can anyone tell me If there is many option how I can select particular one what are the basic step what basics we use to select one
Most of us now realize that there is not enough time or energy to spoon feed you what you are asking for. You need to show some effort and industry to do things for yourself. I see no evidence that you have even tried.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
When I was younger, I learned from a 8086 programming book. At first I did not have much of a clue, but at some time I was able to write a small Tetris game (graphics mode) just with DEBUG.EXE (was quite a pain actually).

I have read the 68000 manuals quite a few time, examining bus arbitration, opcode bit fields, and addressing modes.

After that. it is not so easy to become thrown off. It still happens when I look 3D programming subjects, or JPEG decoding, but at least I have some idea what is going on (even if I cant reproduce it efficiently with a program).

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Most of us now realize that there is not enough time or energy to spoon feed you what you are asking for. You need to show some effort and industry to do things for yourself. I see no evidence that you have even tried.
No I have made features for micro controller and I am writing verilog code first I am writing small code for ram , rom , counter , uart, data pointer .... and finally I will write verilog code for microcontroller

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I doubt you need any of those at this point. Start with the ALU and the overall architecture of the cpu core, then decide the instruction size and format, and make the cpu controller.
Simulate and test it if it does what you want it to do, and only then start adding other peripherals like counters, uart etc.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
No I have made features for micro controller and I am writing verilog code first I am writing small code for ram , rom , counter , uart, data pointer .... and finally I will write verilog code for microcontroller
One problem here for instance UART, you need to gap 4 or 5 levels in order to put it together in a way that makes sense.

It's hard to get one of the elements right independently when you dont know properly how to put them together.

I have a CPLD board here but never really used it- too much effort, too little gain and I don't really need it right now.

When I want to use a controller, I buy a chip, and by all means I try not to use programable logic.

Sure, never really meaningfully USED a controller, but want to design it.

When you'd have used a controller for a meaningful program, you'd know exactly how it works. When you wrote it yourself.

When you wrote 50 meaningful programs you could try to design one yourself.

Really if you don't demonstrate a meaningful program you wrote, most people don't take you that serious- and why invest a lot of time when the result will be of questionable usefulness?

I am generous today. For instance, study a Z80 emulator. Study this emulation core together with the pheripherals emulation for a game console.

Then you see how cryptic and difficult it is. And how much sense your questions make, if you have not yet mastered dealing with such an emulator- even if that just would be to recompile the supplied source and make it working and doing something meaningful.

You could spend 6 months on learning about these CPU emulators.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
This is by the way how in many cases controllers are designed- as they dont exist in hardware, the designers make a software emulator for it.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If I can suggest, the simplest to implement would be the accumulator instruction set architecture. This means that the your cpu consists of only a single data register W, and all operations use the W as one of the operands, and store the result of the operation back into W. You need just a few more instructions to make a working cpu - Load which takes a byte from some address in the memory and puts it into W, and Store which takes W and stores it at some address in the memory.

Then you would want to add some jump instructions and instructions for comparison, which will allow you to implement jumps, loops and conditions.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
How about this forum: http://www.smspower.org/forums/

there are some really clever people over there. Sure they will be turned off if it is not about SEGA Master (Z80), but I'd give it a try- maybe someone is willing to explain.

Go real world and see how far you will reach with your way of working.

I assumed earlier OP is of minor age. And in that case, don't design a controller unless you are a genius by all means. Learn the basics first.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
How about this forum: http://www.smspower.org/forums/

there are some really clever people over there. Sure they will be turned off if it is not about SEGA Master (Z80), but I'd give it a try- maybe someone is willing to explain.

Go real world and see how far you will reach with your way of working.

I assumed earlier OP is of minor age. And in that case, don't design a controller unless you are a genius by all means. Learn the basics first.
ok I try this