How do you use these mini clips

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
How are these mini clips intended to be used? I've never used them before and they only have one odd shaped hole that doesn't look like you would secure a wire to the contact inside.

Also not sure how they come apart if they do.

Are they supposed to be used with probes or something?

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
I couldn't use them with probes, the tip kept falling out.....

To take them apart you have to squeeze them open, exposing the hook, and straighten that out....
the end will then come apart, but be careful with the spring that is inside.

You can then solder a cable to the copper contact, don't forget to feed the cable through the main body before soldering....

HTH Steve

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Do be careful as you solder these as the plastic will MELT and leave you a useless slag heap.

The tip is very prone to melt back into it's slot.

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I just use the same gauge wire as used for breadboard jumper wires (assuming you have the micro test clips?)
A better solution rather than soldering the wire directly, since handling will eventually cause the wire to break inside the clip, is to solder a pin from a 0.1" header and use a female socket on the end of the wire to connect to the clip.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
I just use the same gauge wire as used for breadboard jumper wires (assuming you have the micro test clips?)
A better solution rather than soldering the wire directly, since handling will eventually cause the wire to break inside the clip, is to solder a pin from a 0.1" header and use a female socket on the end of the wire to connect to the clip.

wow....that's genius. I guess these would never really be measuring a high voltage or anything.

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
What's to stop them from measuring a high voltage?

High compared to what?

My usage is for up to 12VDC and low current, so they are sufficient for my needs.

Others may be using them for >12VDC or mains voltages, so I'd rather they give a little input.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
I don't think I'd be using them anywhere but breadboarding or smaller TTL circuits so I wouldn't have a need for heavier wire.

I don't think I'd trust the thin hook on these for high voltages such as mains.

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
I haven't seen those in years. I used to use them for heat sinks on transistors I was soldering to pc boards. They work great -lightweight and everything - but the plastic at the hook melts after a while.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I tried 18 gauge automotive prime wire, and it's too stiff, thick,
I need to re-do them with something thinner, more flexable.