How do you use an LCD screen?

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I've been using 7 segments to learn about electronics. It's been fun. I'm put off by more advanced display technologies. I'm sort of scared of them. Are they difficult to integrate into circuits? Or should I jump right in? I am wanting to create circuits without microcontrollers for now.

Thank you

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I prefer LCD to LED displays, they are simpler (when using a PIC). and require fewer pins to display more than 1 digit.

What do you have to drive the display? They are picky about timing.

LCD Tutorial

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I prefer LCD to LED displays, they are simpler (when using a PIC). and require fewer pins to display more than 1 digit.

What do you have to drive the display? They are picky about timing.

LCD Tutorial
That's the sort of info I'm looking for. I don't know step 1 for using the LCD. I don't even know if it's easy to do without something like a PIC. Are there driver chips for LCD, as there are with 7 segments?

Thank you again

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It depends on which LCD you are referring to. The alpha-numeric 1x16 or 2x16 displays are very popular and they usually have a 14-pin or 16-pin connection. The most straight forward way to use such displays is with a MCU. You would be nuts to try to use them any other way.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
It depends on which LCD you are referring to. The alpha-numeric 1x16 or 2x16 displays are very popular and they usually have a 14-pin or 16-pin connection. The most straight forward way to use such displays is with a MCU. You would be nuts to try to use them any other way.
Thank you --

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Not really. The Hitachi chip on the LCD is already making the interface easier, lowering the connection count from a few dozen to 16.

You could try out the PICAxe chips, or the way overpriced Basic Stamps to get started, or an Arduino, which are all very easy to use.

The PICAxe and Basic Stamp use BASIC, which is pretty easy to learn and there is already a ton of free example code around on the net for using an LCD Display with them, as well as most other tasks.

The Arduino uses a C type language, and also has a ton of open source programs and built in LCD Routine.