How do you respond to stress?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I live near a small town in a cul-de-sac after which there is plenty of forest.
A paradise I would say, if it wasn't for some idiots from my neighborhood who ride their ATVs and snowmobiles at high speed to get to this forest.

Some facts:
- ATVs and snowmobiles are not allowed on public streets
- if they were allowed 30km/h would be the maximum speed near residences

They are a danger and noise polluters.

They are driving (literally) me crazy.

Now, I already have experience when it comes to kindly ask people to not do something. The success rate is usually ZERO.

Problem is, I don't know who exactly they are, by the time I get in my car to follow them they are gone.

My plan for now is writing an anonymous letter to all residences in my neighborhood pointing out the dangers and remembering them that they don't have any right to drive there but are tolerated if they drive prudently. Is that a good idea?

Or do I try to identify them and just call the cops? Then I wouldn't be anonymous any more and I would certainly suffer some harassment, as a friend of mine did for the same issue. It will also take quite some effort installing cameras which can recognize license plates at 30 to 35mph.

Or do I move? (again)

We have a real problem with these guys in Canada. :mad:

I wish there was a pill I could take that makes me not get stressed.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I built my bedroom with 12 inch thick walls and stuffed the walls and ceiling with fiberglass insulation. It is light proof and reduces exterior sound by 53 db.

While one of my neighbors called the police on the house next to mine for unreasonable noise, I slept unaware.:p

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is it city land? Crown land? find out if there is any federal or city ordinances and if their are, report them repeatedly and hopefully something may get done?
Max.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hi Res video cameras and police are a possible solution.

I used to be a real control freq. Due to some major personal changes I trying to learn to let go more. It is harder than it looks.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I built my bedroom with 12 inch thick walls and stuffed the walls and ceiling with fiberglass insulation. It is light proof and reduces exterior sound by 53 db.

While one of my neighbors called the police on the house next to mine for unreasonable noise, I slept unaware.:p
Well, yes that's one thing I need to do. Some cost is involved. It seems most sound comes through windows though.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Hi Res video cameras and police are a possible solution.

I used to be a real control freq. Due to some major personal changes I trying to learn to let go more. It is harder than it looks.
I really really wish I could do something so it wouldn't annoy me that much. My wife doesn't get annoyed and many other neighbors either.

You are right , it is harder than it looks, it doesn't seem to be a choice we can make.

Increasing blood alcohol content does work. But I don't usually drink. :cool:

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Is it city land? Crown land? find out if there is any federal or city ordinances and if their are, report them repeatedly and hopefully something may get done?
Max.
It's city land. It's definitely not allowed but mostly tolerated. Even if you live only 100m away from a trail you couldn't use the street.

Like always, we only need the laws for the people who abuse their non-existent "rights".

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

So you are sleeping in a coffin like a vampire:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Well, yes that's one thing I need to do. Some cost is involved. It seems most sound comes through windows though.
Be sure to install quick release latches on the boards that hold the fiberglass against the windows so you can get out in case of fire.:p

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So you are sleeping in a coffin like a vampire:D
No, it's a 10' by 12' bedroom. Strip two exterior walls, if they are concrete, re-frame them in two by fours, add R-13 fiberglass, put the drywall back on, and build covers for the windows. Add an acoustic tile "drop ceiling" and load that with R-19.

I expect you've seen some of my wood projects. For me, it is child's play to re-frame a room. Less than $200 when I did this 30 years ago.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I used to go online and be a dick to other people in forums.

Now I just go to my buddies place in Canada and we race our ATV's and snowmobiles down the street into the woods and back to drive some guy in the the cul-de-sak nuts!

You should see him boil when we do it with the snowmobiles in the summer on the dry pavement! :D

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I used to go online and be a dick to other people in forums.

Now I just go to my buddies place in Canada and we race our ATV's and snowmobiles down the street into the woods and back to drive some guy in the the cul-de-sak nuts!

You should see him boil when we do it with the snowmobiles in the summer on the dry pavement! :D
I knew it was a good idea to talk to someone. Better and cheaper than a psychologist.:p

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Talk to your doctor. These pills definately exist. My dad took them 40 years ago.

You could also get some cinder blocks and good mortar and build a wall across their trail.
I was thinking along these lines, but more sinister. They'd just drive right around a wall, laughing at the wasted effort of whoever built it. But some objects somewhere in size between a Czech Hedgehog and a child's jacks game piece, with points honed and hardened and a taste for rubber might persuade them to go elsewhere.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I was thinking along these lines, but more sinister. They'd just drive right around a wall, laughing at the wasted effort of whoever built it. But some objects somewhere in size between a Czech Hedgehog and a child's jacks game piece, with points honed and hardened and a taste for rubber might persuade them to go elsewhere.
I originally suggested some nice strong rakes placed tines up but deleted it because I thought sinister was the wrong direction.

A kid I graduated high school with got tired of the ninja crowd racing up and down his street on Saturday nights. One night he got home and pulled a 4x4 from a neighbors remodeling dumpster and set it In the street. The ninja crowd came flying by and one guy went over his handlebars. My friend got sentenced to 3 years. Prosecutors were asking for 7.

Don't go sinister.