How do you become a moderator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pusle

Joined Dec 23, 2009
Do you have to be a member for a certain amount of time?

Also, how could you get a current moderators position removed?

Just curious :)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Moderators are appointed by the Administrators and can only be disqualified by them. So far in the AAC history no moderator has been demoted.

As Bill Marsden has PMed you, you appear to share the same IP with the member Chris15. For the community's information, Chris15 was banned because he insisted on asking for help on a circuit that he initially declared it was for automotive use. He then masked the purpose of the circuit; the obligation of the site to protect its members still remains though, and the thread was closed. Chris15, unable to understand the AAC administration reasoning started to flame against Bill and he was promptly banned.

What Chris15 failed to understand is that this site doesn't run on democratic rules. The administrators set the rules and the moderators enforce them. Also, the moderators' line is common and uniform. This is how things work. One member out of hundreds of thousands cannot hope to change the rules.

If you start posting forbidden circuits, stand for Chris15 defense and/or challenge the site administration you will be banned too.

Thank you for your understanding.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Side note, the only reason pusle has not been banned is there is a slight chance he/she is a different family member using the same computer. Since I can neither prove nor disprove this I have chosen to go with the benefit of the doubt.

If we conclude he is indeed Chris15 then the ban would be extended.

What Chris chose not to understand that when we speak as moderators we are not users with privileges, we are the direct representatives of AAC's owners. Moderators are the mechanism of AAC that keeps the board on track. Ideally moderators do not have to do anything, but anyone who has seen spammers at work know this is not so. Unfortunately it also has to apply to a very few members who will not abide by the rules.

When I took this job I accepted responsibility to do the best job I can. I am not perfect, when I make a mistake I have apologized promptly, but I am doing as best I can, as do the rest of the guys here. We all try for a light touch, because this is meant to be fun for everyone.

Nuff said.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The moderator team here does a very good job of maintaining good order and discipline.

The rules are posted for all to see. I'm sure there's some who just don't like to be held accountable with respect to the rules.

Moderators are chosen, those selected either accept or reject the offer.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Funny how the automative rules bring up the worst in people:rolleyes: Why not just accept it and "shop around" some place else for that kind of problems

Pusle

Joined Dec 23, 2009
If moderators where bouncers, you'd be in a sorry state. Get a life.
First of all, the moderator (s) would be the ones in trouble if that were true. Who are you to tell me to get a life? i have done nothing, im just asking a simple question. You should focus on not causing this discussion to turn into a heated argument, or you, as i have seen will be banned

Also, yea Chris15 is my cousin, and he is living in the same house, we use this computer and this is my account. Good work genius.

He explained to me what happened, and i agree with him, as i do believe that both you and him were right, he also agrees with this. But i feel that a one year Ban for a problem that was not fully figured out by the moderator in question, when he said he would "take it up with other mods" is way to harsh. Especially when Chris says his second and third post were not the same as the first as he understand the first Violated. The moderators assumed it was the same because of its similarity.

Banning me is out of the question because in the Off-Topic section, i asked a general question about how the forum works, and 2 moderators, related this post to the previous problem. I did not bring up this topic, but as you insisted it be talked about, i replied with my opinion.

Also, after being banned for a year. Chris punched a hole in the wall plaster. He was extremely pissed off during that misunderstanding.....

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
First of all, the moderator (s) would be the ones in trouble if that were true. Who are you to tell me to get a life? i have done nothing, im just asking a simple question. You should focus on not causing this discussion to turn into a heated argument, or you, as i have seen will be banned

Also, yea Chris15 is my cousin, and he is living in the same house, we use this computer and this is my account. Good work genius.

He explained to me what happened, and i agree with him, as i do believe that both you and him were right, he also agrees with this. But i feel that a one year Ban for a problem that was not fully figured out by the moderator in question, when he said he would "take it up with other mods" is way to harsh. Especially when Chris says his second and third post were not the same as the first as he understand the first Violated. The moderators assumed it was the same because of its similarity.

Banning me is out of the question because in the Off-Topic section, i asked a general question about how the forum works, and 2 moderators, related this post to the previous problem. I did not bring up this topic, but as you insisted it be talked about, i replied with my opinion.

Also, after being banned for a year. Chris punched a hole in the wall plaster. He was extremely pissed off during that misunderstanding.....
With an attitude like yours, you are very close to being banned yourself. The moderators here do a terrific job of helping others while enforcing the terms of use, which your cousin SHOULD have read when he became a member. The mods do not very often ban members, and when they do, it is ALWAYS for good reason. The TOS were put there for a reason. Usually, if someone violates one of the terms, he or she is notified and the thread is locked. A violation very rarely ends in a ban, unless the member continues to violate the rules and/or are rude to other members here.
Personally, I am not convinced Chris was your "cousin". I think that was just a story you made up so you wouldn't be banned immediately. The moderators know what they're doing, though, so I will say no more on that subject.
As for you, I strongly suggest you re-think your attitude. It's likely to land you in the "banned" category, too.

On another note, I'd like to thank the moderators for doing a fine job of keeping this forum neat and clean. I think they are a great bunch of people who care about others' learning, and I commend them for that. Thank you guys!

Der Strom

Pusle

Joined Dec 23, 2009
You see? Chris was always the "bad guy" when he stood up for himself, and now you are accusing me of lying about us being cousins?? pfft

What you said is not mainly relevant.. Chris said, his first post violated the terms, he knows this, and the moderator did their job, they told him why and closed it. His second post did not violate the terms, the moderator assumed they did and closed the post. A third thread was required to make it clear that he was not trying to violate the terms and was just trying to get help on a circuit.

He says this is what cause him to be so raged and reacted how he did to the moderators personal messages. But i assume the moderators and friends of theirs dont think twice about weather the moderator is right or not. After chris proved a Mod violated, he said this was exactly the same "background check" the mod did on him. He was curious

From my point of view, this discussion is not "heated" nor is it discussing any band topics so Derstorm8 i dont see how it could be close, or how i could be banned.

And again, you assuming my attitude will get me banned, when i am only discussing the topic, trying to get closure. And un like Chris i am doing it on the Off Topic section

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't think there's a time limit or a # of post limit. The community needs to know you. Your virtue needs to have been demonstrated repeatedly and you need to be held in high esteem by the community (allaboutcircuits.com forum members, administrators, moderators). It's a people thing, not a numbers thing.

You can't. Only a moderator could do that themselves. For example, if a moderator forgot their meds for a week or so and went on a random streak of berating people openly and abusing their power for no apparent reason, then the other moderators & admins might step in and remove said moderator's privelages. Or they might not; I don't know, I don't think it's happened yet. You, as a forum member, cannot do anything to directly remove a mod's privelages. sorry, accept it.

Now, what was the technical help you came here in search of? (create a new thread for that)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I am sure if i post it, the mods will assume the same as the past for my cousin and just ban me, its the All about circuits way
Well if you are reluctant to post any valid inquiries then we cant help you and this discussion serves no further purpose. Sorry we couldnt be of more help. Have a nice day :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You see? Chris was always the "bad guy" when he stood up for himself, and now you are accusing me of lying about us being cousins?? pfft

What you said is not mainly relevant.. Chris said, his first post violated the terms, he knows this, and the moderator did their job, they told him why and closed it. His second post did not violate the terms, the moderator assumed they did and closed the post. A third thread was required to make it clear that he was not trying to violate the terms and was just trying to get help on a circuit.

He says this is what cause him to be so raged and reacted how he did to the moderators personal messages. But i assume the moderators and friends of theirs dont think twice about weather the moderator is right or not. After chris proved a Mod violated, he said this was exactly the same "background check" the mod did on him. He was curious

From my point of view, this discussion is not "heated" nor is it discussing any band topics so Derstorm8 i dont see how it could be close, or how i could be banned.

And again, you assuming my attitude will get me banned, when i am only discussing the topic, trying to get closure. And un like Chris i am doing it on the Off Topic section
I have read your posts and emails quite carefully, this was the first time you have said you are someone else. I made the assumption, because it I thought it was the right thing to do.

Be aware though, you are in a sensitive position. There is no "background" check, we judge you (and Chris15) by how you behave. So far, it isn't looking good. You sound just like your cousin. My suggestion, move on, be civil, and get technical.

Trolling, flame wars, and plain rudeness are not tolerated. I just looked at your past 4 technical threads, 3 were locked because of clear cut violations. This is a matter of record that can be verified by anyone here by looking at your profile, and was before my time.

So lets look at your other 1 remaining technical post, and the 2 off topic.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=32038

how cum my multimeter dosn't measure accuratley with resistors
A fair question, no worries.

Mildly offensive, but no big deal.

I warned Chris more than 4 times where this was going, including a 1 day ban, at which time he cussed me out via PM when the ban was over. There was no misunderstanding, he said what he wanted in plain, clear, and profane english (or would have, had the sites filters allowed).

I also offered during the entire time to get him where he wanted to go. He just could not do it here.

This post was a definate flame, and provocative.

Another clear flame. This is not allowed.

I am sure if i post it, the mods will assume the same as the past for my cousin and just ban me, its the All about circuits way
So this makes three in one post. I am now closing this thread.

You wanted public, you got it.

Further violations will result in you joining Chris. Feel free to use this site as it was intended, but this is a no flame zone. Period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.