How do the members keep track of all their passwords, security numbers, etc?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
I have everything in a notebook which obviously isn't ideal.

How do you keep track of passwords, etc?

Any alternatives?

Regards

Paul

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I use an algorithm to generate a unique password for each application. It is a simple one, so I can quickly regenerate the password when needed.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Before retiring at work it was a PITA and a major PITA because everything changed every 30 days. I started using phrases with a mix of characters (upper and lower case), numbers and symbols. I found phrases easier to remember. Today I don't have as many to deal with or change very often and simple phrases work for me. :)

Ron

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I still write mine down. I would never trust software to save a password. I am the only one who knows where they are stored and no amount of physhing and hacking can access them.

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
I still write mine down. I would never trust software to save a password. I am the only one who knows where they are stored and no amount of physhing and hacking can access them.
I use Password Safe for the ever growing collection of passwords I need for all sorts of websites, but I don't use it for my banking passwords, I don't even use paper for those!

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
I use Password Safe for the ever growing collection of passwords I need for all sorts of websites, but I don't use it for my banking passwords, I don't even use paper for those! And for important sites that have some form of 2-factor authentication - enable it!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I use Password Safe for the ever growing collection of passwords I need for all sorts of websites, but I don't use it for my banking passwords, I don't even use paper for those!

I don’t use paper, a text file or an app. My technique of using an algorithm to generate unique site-specific passwords lets me regenerate them as needed. For banking/financial, I use a different algorithm that generates a 20 character password.

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
I have everything in a notebook which obviously isn't ideal.

How do you keep track of passwords, etc?

Any alternatives?

Regards

Paul
Notebooks are absolutely ideal. If some hack wants to try and steal my passwords, I want the opportunity to break his knees.
Best practice is to put it on a few pages in the mid section of a book filled with electrical notes and schematics

I use the Keeper app for android. It has worked well for me and the paid version allows me to access my list from any computer with internet access.

For high risk transactions, I try to memorize. Password re-generation has been made easier and safe these days, because of the usage of one time pass-codes.

I do not find it too complex now, earlier it was a headache.

Suggestion:-- Never write passwords in mobile devices.