How do micro ohmmeters work?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Mar 26 2006, 02:10 AM
How do micro ohmmeters work?
[post=15449]Quoted post[/post]​
Same principle as normal ohm meter. A few necessary differences/enhancements are kelvinated measurement wires, sensitive and high precision input amplifier and high accuracy/resolution indicator/ADC. Some expensive models (notably ones with DSPs) have averaging/repeated measurements with noise cancellation algorithm.

Polgi-Wan

Joined Sep 26, 2005
never seen (or used) one ever.... which applications / circuits are these commonly used?

which brings me to think why do we have 0 ohm resistors?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by Polgi-Wan@Mar 28 2006, 04:07 AM
never seen (or used) one ever.... which applications / circuits are these commonly used?

[post=15512]Quoted post[/post]​
When circuit boards had only through hole components, wire jumpers were used to make optional connections. A piece of wire is difficult for a pick 'n place machine to handle so the 0 ohm resistor replaces the piece of wire used as a jumper.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
We occasionally use them at work to test bonding on isolated grounding networks. Micro-ohmmeters, that is - not surface mount resistors. ^_^

I was toying with the idea of adapting something similar (if more crude) for a hobby project.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by Polgi-Wan@Mar 28 2006, 09:07 AM

[post=15512]Quoted post[/post]​
You could use one to measure specific conductor resistivity and because most of these micro ohmmeters also measure voltages down to nV range, they are also invaluable in high precision lab works and semiconductor characterisations. These are the ones that I know and I have no doubt that they are also useful in many other applications.