How do I wire up to this circuit board - 4000W 220V AC SCR Voltage Regulator

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
I bought this voltage regulator from Aliexpress. There are no instructions on how to wire it up.
After 4 days of sending messages To them I have not had a single reply back.

Thank you in advance to anybody who Can give me advice on the wiring of this.

There are 4 connectors numbered 1 to 4 starting on the left with 1 and finishing on the right with 4.
Looking at the underside of the circuit board In the picture on the far right, it shows 2 and 3 directly connected and 1 And 4 Connected via the circuit board.
I'm not an electrician in any way can anybody give me any ideas on how to wire this up?

I'm attaching it to a blender I have the positive and negative feed From the mains and the positive and negative feed to the motor.
I also have the earth and nowhere to attach it to.

If I wire this up the wrong way round can I destroy the circuit board?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...der_detail.order_detail_item.2.1d93f19c6X4bvG

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It would appear that two are 240vac supply and the other two the load, the two centre terminals appear to be common, so the outer two are input and output, both connected to a pin on the Triac device, So some tracing/reverse engineering of the circuit is needed in order to find out which of the outer two are in/out , keep in mind there is no galvanic isolation of this circuit and no earth GND
So keep in mind that as it stands it is a potential safety hazard.

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
It would appear that two are 240vac supply and the other two the load, the two centre terminals appear to be common, so the outer two are input and output, both connected to a pin on the Triac device, So some tracing/reverse engineering of the circuit is needed in order to find out which of the outer two are in/out , keep in mind there is no galvanic isolation of this circuit and no earth GND
So keep in mind that as it stands it is a potential safety hazard.
thank you for helping. Do you think that there is a chance that I I will ruin the circuit board by just trying different combinations to see which one works properly?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I see you are in the UK, so you would connect the neutral to the centre (common) terminals.
Can you give the No. off of the device mounted on the heatsink.?
The earth connection should at least be connected to the frame of the device (blender), unless this is a double insulated version.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Terminals are ::
1) Motor Live
2) Motor Neutral
3) Mains Neutral
4) Mains Live
If you reverse the Lives it won't work, it looks like a Triac on the heatsink controlled by an optocoupler.

Last edited:

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
1) Motor Live
2) Motor Neutral
3) Mains Neutral
4) Mains Live
If you reverse the Lives it won't work, it looks like a Triac on the heatsink controlled by an optocoupler.
Thank you.
If I wire it wrong will it break the circuit board?

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
1) Motor Live
2) Motor Neutral
3) Mains Neutral
4) Mains Live
Thank you
Just to check I may have caused some confusion in my original post. As I also talked about the back of the board.

There are 4 connectors numbered 1 to 4 starting on the left with 1 and finishing on the right with 4.

This is with the board the right way up where you can see all of the components.

Are the connections still the same as you said?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Thank you
Just to check I may have caused some confusion in my original post. As I also talked about the back of the board.

This is with the board the right way up where you can see all of the components.

Are the connections still the same as you said?
On the photo the terminals are numbered 1 to 4, ( left to right component side) the centre two are Neutral and joined together, if you get terminals 1&4 the wrong way it won't work.

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
On the photo the terminals are numbered 1 to 4, ( left to right component side) the centre two are Neutral and joined together, if you get terminals 1&4 the wrong way it won't work.
Thank you I will wire this all up tomorrow. You been very helpful.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
1) Motor Live
2) Motor Neutral
3) Mains Neutral
4) Mains Live
Are you sure about that? Conventional phase control looks like:

1678217244799.png

MT2 is pin 2 of the TOP3 Triac case. MT1 is pin 1, gate is pin 3. Hopefully its an isolated TOP3 else the heat-sink is potentially LIVE!

I would have expected the neutral to screw 1, live to screw 2 and the motor to screw 3 and 4 (live on 3)

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
Thank you everyone for your help. I am not sure if it is helpful here is similar machine in two picture it is one way but in the third it is reversed - I think it is the same board as mine,1678218257309.png1678218316650.png1678218395148.png but with a turning control knob rather than a press button
1678218257309.png
1678218316650.png
1678218395148.png

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Picture1 is exactly the way I've suggested, as shown on the left below.This is the, arguably, more conventional arrangement for motors, putting the controller on the neutral side of the motor.

Picture 3 is reversed, as you said, but actually will work. As shown on the right below it puts the triac 'upside-down', but still on the neutral side of the motor.

1678222253564.png

My biggest concern is the lack of any protective earth on the unit. This whole unit, including the control panel, must be installed in a ventilated metal box which is connected to the protective ground (green/yellow in UK).

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
Picture1 is exactly the way I've suggested, as shown on the left below.This is the, arguably, more conventional arrangement for motors, putting the controller on the neutral side of the motor.

Picture 3 is reversed, as you said, but actually will work. As shown on the right below it puts the triac 'upside-down', but still on the neutral side of the motor.

View attachment 289159

My biggest concern is the lack of any protective earth on the unit. This whole unit, including the control panel, must be installed in a ventilated metal box which is connected to the protective ground (green/yellow in UK).
thank you for this. You are right some of these seem to have a metal box and others not. It seems that all have to buy another one with a metal box and a turning knob.
If I were to connect this to a blender all of the workings would be inside the blender and then the press button pad would be on the outside. But as you say it would not be earth. I'm not sure how they legally managed to sell this.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Are you sure about that? Conventional phase control looks like:

View attachment 289150

MT2 is pin 2 of the TOP3 Triac case. MT1 is pin 1, gate is pin 3. Hopefully its an isolated TOP3 else the heat-sink is potentially LIVE!

I would have expected the neutral to screw 1, live to screw 2 and the motor to screw 3 and 4 (live on 3)

Ok so just swap the Lives and Neutral round, put the lives in the middle on pins 2&3, and the mains Neutral on pin 1 , Motor Neutral on pin 4.
That way the heatsink will be at Neutral potential if it's not isolated, ideally it should be in a enclosed case.