How Do I Use A Bluetooth Module?

henrybrown

Joined Jun 9, 2011
I'm trying to make a remote ringer for my cell phone using bluetooth. My phone is nothing fancy, a samsung clam shell, not sure of the model at the moment. My hopes are, regardless of the model and after pairing, for the phone to connect and provide some sort of signal I can translate & relay to a flasher or ringer. I want this to connect and work basically like a bluetooth headset would work, except I don't need the earpiece or mic. I have a plantronics headset that I pulled apart, but the best I can do is create an optical link with the LED to translate the flashing it produces ringing to achieve my goal. Can I use a bluetooth module? (like sparkfun or goodluckbuy) It seems I need software loaded to the phone, java2 I think, to get things talking, and write code, from what I researched. But I don't have to load software on my phone for it to talk to a headset like the plantronics. What's different? Is it on board firmware? I have amateur electronics and computer experience, but I'm not well versed (apparently) in bluetooth tech. I'm convinced their has to be an easier way than writing software and using PIC's, arduino's & androids! I'd love any help or direction....Thanks.