How do I set the Pressure that triggers a QTC sensor?

infrared

Joined Apr 25, 2010
Hey guys,

Just a simple question but I cant find the solution online as I dont really know what to search.

I am trying to make a circut where the user is always on the sensor but when they put more pressure on the QTC mat a simple buzzer is triggered.

Basically I just want to know how to set the sensitivity of a QTC sensor to be activated when 15kg is pushed down.

Is it a combination of resistors or potentiometer?

Thank you

Will

Last edited by a moderator:

infrared

Joined Apr 25, 2010
The 15kg was an example, I have not yet measuerd the force. But in this example someone is standing on the mat. when they lean on one leg, more pressure is exhurted triggering the QTC.

Will

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The 15kg was an example, I have not yet measuerd the force. But in this example someone is standing on the mat. when they lean on one leg, more pressure is exhurted triggering the QTC.

Will
First find out how much force is exerted, and use that to predict the mat response, or (much better) find out the mat resistance response by measuring that directly with a resistance meter. Get figures for no pressure, standing, and leaning. Are you sure that the extra pressure from leaning on one leg will produce a significant additional response?

Given an adequate resistance response, I would have thought that a Wheatstone Bridge circuit driving a comparator would be suitable. The mat would form one element of the bridge, and the other resistors would be chosen so that the bridge reaches balance at the appropriate pressure.