How do I motivate myself to study with 100% focus and concentration during covid lockdown?

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
It is winter. LOL and in nepal there is no heating system. Thankfully, I fixed this problem of cold feet by buying myself an electric blanket.
Now comes another big deal. LOCKDOWN.

We are home 24 hrs. Can't go out(soon to be not go out being done in Nepal).

It gets frustrating to me. I can't go and have my favorite food that would motivate me. btw "jalebi" is my favorite food that I can afford haha.

Now coming to important point. I feel wasting my time during holidays, vacation, lockdown etc. I have around a week of holidays. After that we will have online classes IDK if should I call that time free time as we don't learn anything in online class)

I am trying to do these things-:

1) Do yoga, pranayama

2) Use timmytimer.com (not my site I wish I could code like this tho) for pomodoro.

3) Avoid starting to watch any web series. They easily consume 15 hrs. Thankfully, Nowadays due to some MHI I am not even interested in those stuffs. I might let myself watch a movie.

As you can see I am lazy during holidays. I was working with 100% focus and productivity till yesterday. But after my exams got cancelled I slowed my pace.

I did some self care stuffs today as well. So I could not study 100%. But I know this is my history.

I totally regret wasting 1/2 year of my lockdown life by watching hindi movies and web series and spending time on reddit. :( Time gone never comes back.
I value my education as well, but I get lazy and even when I study I study like there is no tommorow ie I go unnecessary depth instead of studying just enough for exams (btw education system is so bad in Nepal I will tell you..The copy checking teachers don't even know that an alternative solution exists and won't give marks for anything that is not in their solution book...teachers are given solution book to check exam copies of ours.)

I will stick your advice to my wall, that too handwritten. So your advice is really valuable for me. :)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A technique I've used is to "deny" myself some things I enjoy doing and use them as a "reward" for doing some of the less enjoyable things. When you're a child, your parents do this for you. When you become an adult, you need to be the one doing it. In reality, some adults are never able to do it.

I recently came to learn about a condition called "low conscientiousness". People with high conscientiousness do the following:
Conscientiousness: Definition, Signs, & Causes - Choosing Therapy
1642788883839.png

People with low conscientiousness exhibit behaviors such as: impulsiveness, recklessness, selfishness, lack of motivation. It turns out they're also prone to believing conspiracy theories and fake news and are more likely to spread them.

It comes down to self-discipline. If you can't motivate yourself, you should seek outside assistance. A therapist can help you identify why you lack self-discipline or motivation and try to help you.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
it is like I am NOT gate of conscientiousness...
If you're younger than 25 or so, your brain is still maturing (and doesn't stop there), so there's no need to be overly concerned to the point that you get depressed.

Try using a reward system to see if it helps. If it doesn't, you can always seek professional help. It's not weak to recognize a deficiency and take actions to address it. The tendency to do the opposite is self defeating.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
If you're younger than 25 or so, your brain is still maturing (and doesn't stop there), so there's no need to be overly concerned to the point that you get depressed.

Try using a reward system to see if it helps. If it doesn't, you can always seek professional help. It's not weak to recognize a deficiency and take actions to address it. The tendency to do the opposite is self defeating.
Hmm I might go and take fav food in morning. I work better when I get pre rewards instead post reward. But I get very bored to go to shops in morning when I am not commuting.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I work better when I get pre rewards instead post reward.
That's going to take more discipline than doing the unenjoyable task first. Of course, that method also takes discipline.

Try things to find out what works for you. Asking for professional help isn't a sign of weakness. It's better to address issues early, before they appear to be insurmountable.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
That's going to take more discipline than doing the unenjoyable task first. Of course, that method also takes discipline.

Try things to find out what works for you. Asking for professional help isn't a sign of weakness. It's better to address issues early, before they appear to be insurmountable.
I am already taking mental health help but not for this issue. I don't think this is serious issue where I need to take medications so...Not sure about it...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am already taking mental health help but not for this issue.
Bring this up during your next session.
I don't think this is serious issue where I need to take medications so...
Do you have a degree in psychology or medicine? If not, leave diagnosis and treatment to professionals.
Not sure about it...
The first step in getting help is to seek professional help after you realize there's a problem. No one can help you if you don't want to be helped or think there's a problem.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
When I didn't want to study, I did anyway. After about 15 minutes I would be totally absorbed into what I was studying. Take short breaks to make tea/coffee or bathroom. Then go back at it. Something that helps me is called the SQ3R method.

Scan the material/chapter. Form Questions as you scan it.
Read the material (I also like to take notes and work the example problems).
Re-read the material. You will catch things you missed the first time. Now is the time to do any exercise problems for the material.
Review the material before the test. Time for a test is not the time to start learning the material by "cramming".

Easy to do and will make a difference in your grades.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
How do I motivate myself to study with 100% focus and concentration during covid lockdown?

They call it self discipline. The same standard of discipline which is behind success versus failure. It all starts with self discipline.

Ron

Last edited: