How do I make a 120 VDC coffee grinder motor run from 120 VAC outlet?

Travis1984

Joined Oct 25, 2019
Motor is Domel 482.3 504-2

This is from a decommissioned espresso machine. I thought I may remove the working grinder assembly and be able to drop it in a home made box and wire it from the wall, through a on/off switch. I noticed it is a dc motor upon removal from the machine. I hoped to find a component within the espresso machine to remove and use in my project but it appears the grinder triacs, and other components it requires to run, are all on the main power supply board.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
If you confirm that it works on AC voltage, note that the data sheet indicates that it is intended for intermittent operation ... ~ 7 seconds ON and 23 seconds off ... or something like that.

Travis1984

Joined Oct 25, 2019
Thank you all. The motor is at my shop and I will test it with AC voltage Monday. Seven seconds ON and 23 seconds OFF makes sense for the application. It’s intended to only grind about 14 grams of coffee at a time.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Keep in mind a Universal (series field) motor operates in a run-away condition and it generally fitted with some kind of load to restrict maximum rpm.
Max.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Keep in mind a Universal (series field) motor operates in a run-away condition and it generally fitted with some kind of load to restrict maximum rpm.
Max.
Do we know that it is series wound? Shunt seems more likely for coffee grinding - more constant speed regardless of load.
[EDIT] The performance table in the datasheet shows speed and supply current down to no load.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do we know that it is series wound? Shunt seems more likely for coffee grinding - more constant speed regardless of load.
[EDIT] The performance table in the datasheet shows speed and supply current down to no load.
Universal motors are quite common in most appliances as no DC supply is required.
But the actual part No 482.3 504-2 shows it to be a Universal motor. AC250.
Max.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Does the motor have carbon brushes that ride on a commutator? Is it possible to inspect them and determine if they are working properly? Is the commutator surface visually clean, not corroded or obscured, making efficient electrical contact?