How do i increase output Voltage using Relays?

andy90

Joined Dec 20, 2009
Hi all, i have this project that i've been working on and i have a huge problem.

I have this GSM Module that has an output of only 30V, while my components require 240V to work. My project supervisor told me to use a relay in order to increase the output voltage but i have no idea how to start at all.

So is there any way to go about doing this?
I'm new to circuits and all so please be kind.

Thanks for any help :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Depends, there is a way, but if you increase 30V to 240V the current from the 30V goes up, probably way up. How much current will the 240V use? Is it DC or AC? Either way, you really need an electrician's help, what you want to do is dangerous, with that kind of voltage you don't get second chance's.

andy90

Joined Dec 20, 2009
Wow, i have no idea how much current its using but i do know its a DC.
It sounds really dangerous the way you put it, haha.
I'll inform my supervisor tomorrow and check with him again then try to post more details.

Thanks Bill! :)

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Your instructor might mean that you should use your 28 volt signal to drive the coil of a rely, and use the relay contacts to switch power to a 240VAC load.

Do you have a 24 volt control signal and a load (Motor, light bulb, solenoid, or other mains AC operated device that you want to control?

andy90

Joined Dec 20, 2009
Yea! I think that was what he was trying to tell me but i have absolutely no idea how to actually do it.
Well, yea i do have a 30V signal and a load as you've said, but i'm not sure whether its AC or not.

So do i just need a control signal, a relay, and then a load? Is there anything else i would need for this, like a transistor/resistor/capacitor?

Sorry for asking so many questions, i'm really new to this :(

Thanks again =)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A simple transistor/relay would likely do it if you're switching an AC signal on/off. You still need to know the load, how much power it uses, and whether it is AC or not. This is your homework I think.

I thought you were trying to make a primitive inverter, what I think I'm hearing is you want to turn 240VAC on/off using a simple low power output.

If that is the case then there many options. If the power is low enough you can use something called a SSR (solid state relay).

However, if you are thinking of messing with high voltages with no training, you're boss is out of line. You really need someone who is trained in this, as it can be hazardous.

SSRs are relatively cheap and easy to use, I suspect this is the way to go.