How-do-I-convert-230V-AC-to-12V-DC-without-a-transformer-with-exchange-of-load-and-neutral?

saraiot

Joined Sep 12, 2022
I am able to convert 230v AC to 12v DC using url

It works if I connect exact load and neutral in exact connection. If I exchange them then it is not working. I would need circuit which convert(AC to DC) without transformer even if we exchange load & neutral. Please help me out on this....

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi saralot,
Welcome to AAC.
Are you aware that non isolated mains power supplies are unsafe to use, regarding receiving a possible lethal electrical shock.??
E

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
It works if I connect exact load and neutral in exact connection. If I exchange them then it is not working.
Not certain what you say. I think you are using a scope not a meter. Or you connected the "-" go Ground.
This power supply is not isolated. So the input labeled "N" is almost connected to "-".
Take away "Ground" and use a meter to measure the output. Not a scope where the probe is Ground. With a floating meter it does not matter if L and N are exchanged.
Remember that "-" is not Ground. It can be almost the power line voltage if you measure from ground.

1662986105394.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Could you please suggest better circuit diagram with 230v ac to 5v dc using transformer less technology
Welcome to AAC.

The topic of non-isolated mains connected power supplies used to be prohibited here. The reason for this is the extreme danger to life and limb inherent in such circuits. If they are not properly designed with the appropriate safety measures, or they are poorly constructed, there is a real chance of death for the user.

Perhaps you can explain why you need this. Please explain the problem this circuit is a solution to, rather than presenting the circuit itself as your problem. It will help us understand how to give you the appropriate guidance and solve the problem rather than faffing about guessing what you need.

Please take this danger seriously, we do.

saraiot

Joined Sep 12, 2022
Welcome to AAC.

The topic of non-isolated mains connected power supplies used to be prohibited here. The reason for this is the extreme danger to life and limb inherent in such circuits. If they are not properly designed with the appropriate safety measures, or they are poorly constructed, there is a real chance of death for the user.

Perhaps you can explain why you need this. Please explain the problem this circuit is a solution to, rather than presenting the circuit itself as your problem. It will help us understand how to give you the appropriate guidance and solve the problem rather than faffing about guessing what you need.

Please take this danger seriously, we do.
I'm trying to make IOT device for personal purpose where I need this solution(230v ac to 5v dc)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'm trying to make IOT device for personal purpose where I need this solution(230v ac to 5v dc)
I agree with @sghioto but with one difference. I am very reluctant to suggest removing a mains powered adapter from it's housing. 230V is extremely dangerous and the spacing of the mains side and the low side in such an adapter is very small. This presents a great hazard when working on it.

It would be better to put a USB jack on your device and power it with the wire from the adapter, or use a barrel jack which is easier. If you are trying to make something set contained then I strongly recommend buying a commercial potted 230VAC to 5V converter which still requires great care when dealing with the input side.