How can I sell my knowledge/and get job if I am from Africa

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Dear all,
I am from Africa( Ethiopia). I have done a lot of embedded electronics project and tried to bring them from school project to real problem solver. In doing so I have seen and learned many missory (though I dont gave up). But I have learned the limitation of DIY way so I also learned and do PLC programming which is robust. Now I have completed and tested concrete batching plant automation in which I do plc programming connect some device to plc via modbus rs485 and rs232 and analog input and output beside I do the scada side programming from scratch. But here in my country it is difficult to get the second project or job.

By the way lot of guys helped me from this website specially maxHeadRoom
Note: I have attached a video link for the concrete batching plant (tested and working in real world) and additional video for ventilator prototype

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tins...on-designed-activity-6884404543145201664-8gRq

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tins...windows-hmi-activity-6884452878061244416-BJ9V

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You could start sending resumes to companies you'd like to work for, but you'll likely have more success if you use your network of colleagues to find positions and get referrals and/or recommendations.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Dear all,
I am from Africa( Ethiopia). I have done a lot of embedded electronics project and tried to bring them from school project to real problem solver. In doing so I have seen and learned many missory (though I dont gave up). But I have learned the limitation of DIY way so I also learned and do PLC programming which is robust. Now I have completed and tested concrete batching plant automation in which I do plc programming connect some device to plc via modbus rs485 and rs232 and analog input and output beside I do the scada side programming from scratch. But here in my country it is difficult to get the second project or job.

By the way lot of guys helped me from this website specially maxHeadRoom
Note: I have attached a video link for the concrete batching plant (tested and working in real world) and additional video for ventilator prototype

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tins...on-designed-activity-6884404543145201664-8gRq

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tins...windows-hmi-activity-6884452878061244416-BJ9V
Have you managed to get any formal certification? qualifications? for these areas of technology? I'd use your contacts at Addis Ababa university to help you reach out, they are well placed and must have many contacts in industry.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Have you managed to get any formal certification? qualifications? for these areas of technology? I'd use your contacts at Addis Ababa university to help you reach out, they are well placed and must have many contacts in industry.
I dont have Certification in both embeded and PLC. But I have BSc in Chemical Engineering. We learned some basic programming and electronics in the 5 year university stay. Buy I have great interest for programming as well as electronic and self taught.

One thing in developing country is the university couldn't help you out in making contact with industries beside there are few industries in the country. To your surprise me and my friend doing ventilator prototype (the second video I posted) which was also funded by UNDP and hosted by Ethiopia science and innovation minster was aired by many local tv station but that is all....

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
You could start sending resumes to companies you'd like to work for, but you'll likely have more success if you use your network of colleagues to find positions and get referrals and/or recommendations.
Yes I am doing both ways. The first option is hard for people from poor countries like me. Who will believe your CV? (Also there is some truth in it) that is why I prepared some video that can be better evidence than written CV
And the second option is the best as pointed out. I am trying to go through a person who is a foreigner and own an international company and knows my knowledge. He has tried his best so far but luck was not on my side. But I keep reminding and updating him with my latest work.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But I have BSc in Chemical Engineering. We learned some basic programming and electronics in the 5 year university stay. Buy I have great interest for programming as well as electronic and self taught.
That's going to put you at a severe disadvantage with all of the candidates with relevant degrees and experience. The days of a self-taught person getting a foot in the door are long gone. If you're already working in the company, accomplishments become more important than education.
One thing in developing country is the university couldn't help you out in making contact with industries beside there are few industries in the country.
That's too bad. If the university has a good program and is accredited, instructors should have contacts at any companies where graduates are or have been employed. My first interview after graduating was arranged by one of my instructors. I don't know of any graduate who interviewed with that company and wasn't offered a job. I thought I was going to be the first because they took so long to get back to me, but the issue was that 3 labs were debating who would get to extend the offer.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
the sad thing is that many young, educated and capable people will leave their country in search of employment. the place they leave is the very same place that would benefit the most of them staying and getting job there.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
If you're already working in the company, accomplishments become more important than education.
I already did that concrete batching plant automation for a company which agreed with me for the project. And I believe it could be counted as experience. But it is sad that self taught people are no longer needed.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But it is sad that self taught people are no longer needed.
It isn't that they're no longer valued. It's just that there are so many people with relevant degrees to pick from that people without relevant degrees don't rise high enough in the list to be considered. This is where a referral comes in. People with a referral from a respected colleague always got consideration because those individuals wouldn't risk their reputation by referring unqualified people.

When I was recruiting, I'd phone screen a dozen or more candidates for a position. Whatever it took to find 2-3 seemingly qualified candidates to invite for plant interviews. Without a relevant degree, I wouldn't have given many a phone screen.

After the early 80's, being able to work with a team was just as important as strong technical skills and I saw a number of technically qualified individuals turned down due to a lack of teamwork skills.

Last edited:

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
great job bro,If you even couldn't sell your products by any means, try to place source of your projects in open source platforms like github, instructables,youtube,etc.
Plant your magic beans in a safe place and wait for your golden eggs to drop from the sky ;)

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Tha
great job bro,If you even couldn't sell your products by any means, try to place source of your projects in open source platforms like github, instructables,youtube,etc.
Plant your magic beans in a safe place and wait for your golden eggs to drop from the sky ;)
Thank you.
Open source plant form option is also some thing to consider.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
It sounds and looks to me like you're doing okay... keep networking and doing what you're doing. I've worked with a lot of 'engineers' that didn't know how to 'do' anything... These videos show that you're a strong 'doer'.

You have a BSCE... keep working on finding jobs in that area and market your electronic experience in parallel. The concrete mixing plant is a great example - it's both chemical and electronic in nature. I'd start finding more companies in your area that need this type of technology and get contracts with them to do similar things.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
It sounds and looks to me like you're doing okay... keep networking and doing what you're doing. I've worked with a lot of 'engineers' that didn't know how to 'do' anything... These videos show that you're a strong 'doer'.

You have a BSCE... keep working on finding jobs in that area and market your electronic experience in parallel. The concrete mixing plant is a great example - it's both chemical and electronic in nature. I'd start finding more companies in your area that need this type of technology and get contracts with them to do similar things.
Wow, your message really motivated me. I was some how depressed. I will keep on what you adviced me thankyou.

To all who are reading I would like to remind that I am affordable (require less salary or contrat deal), no problem to work in harsh condition and willing to travel to any country.

If any of you believed in me or find a place for me or get someone to recommend me dont forget me!

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
1. You mean in Ethiopia?
2. And did you get the contract?
You seem to be ahead of your markets and technologies - therefore, it is up to you to help build your community and country. Africa is behind but definitely needs people with your skills (even though it may not feel like it today since you cannot find a job).
To keep in your BSCE skill-set and possibly exploit your electronics interest, you need to look what industries are growing and where your skills can help in Africa and, hopefully, in Ethiopia. From my great distance, two are clear to me (there may be more)
1) EtheopiaOil Industry (drilling and Refining) is about to take off. Ethiopia has a nice reserve of oil and Chinese, US and European investors and associated oil companies are dipping their toe into various studies and pilot-scale projects. Do some research, look up company names, read news articles, look for specific names, connect with them on LinkedIn and tell them you are IN ETHIOPIA and would like to join their team. You know the area, you speak the language and you are a BSCE.

2) Mining. Same as above except a bit less investment required for mining vs oil. There are thousands of mines in Africa - all kinds of metals ores, minerals like sheet mica, gypsum, sulfur, come from Madagascar to Central Africa. Diamonds are becoming less important as synthetic diamonds are getting better and better and approach natural diamond for industrial cutting tools (the biggest market for diamonds).

3) Water - there are many Western Non-government Organizations (NGOs) helping communities drill micro wells in rural areas to alleviate the hours of productivity wasted each day walking to wells, waiting in lines at a community well and porting the water back to their homes. Managing some of these teams that drill, repair, manage wells. I think come communities are adding ozonolysis or other disinfecting/purification techniques. Contact some NGOs that list projects in Ethiopia. Anyone handling large amounts of water will be really happy to have a BSCE on there team to specify pipe layouts for various usage rates (done worry, you'll learn on the job).

Build your network, ask for introductions, buy someone a dinner and get to know them - you should be able to meet 100 people in the next 12 months. One or more will help you find a job.

One note, never (NEVER!) work for anyone who expects/demands you to spend your own money or expects you to pay them to teach you, make an introduction or promise to give you a job.

Last edited:

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Thank you MrSalts, I am doing networking and asking for jobs companies here in my country too. Via LinkedIn I think I am doing good in networking, one person also wants to see the automation done on that batching plant and I am arranging for the visit. You also remind me giz ( a Germany based NGO) that operates here so I try to reach them. I am also trying in Kenya (neighbouring country) through a friend I have there.

One thing I believe is, it is not bad to have job outside your country collect money, knowledge, experience and exposure then comeback to your homeland and invest. Sometimes the otherwise cost your life and give nothing to you and your country at the end.

And for finding matching job like oil, mining: the reality is like this. They are mostly owned by government and there is one rigid hiring procedure they post the vacancy in that post they include the requirement which may include experience year in some area, field of study and some others. Sometimes you are the exact fit for that position and have the evidence and miss the requirements, and there is no way you can show your evidence even the hiring person may believe in you but he will say to you "I am sorry I know you can do it but you missed one requirement". I think it is last year with my colleague we have done ventilator prototype https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tins...windows-hmi-activity-6884452878061244416-BJ9V
(I know it is medical equipment need very vigorous test now and then. It doest not mean if it work it should be applicable. Is that robust doest it work for month continously? Will it fail safely? I know it need a lot of question...But when and who should ask this?). We have done it good as prototype but I believe if we were funded and helped further I am sure we will produce say after 2-5 year something commercial ventilator that would have saved life now at least in our country now. We have approached some institutes for this but they hezitate to go outside of their routines. We were unable to get some one who will break the tradition and say go ahead. It doesnt matter if our ventilator unable to commercialize after 5 years of developing, I believe this is the evolution for a country to develop. To conclude we as country are not doing good (deeply seeing I cant say I was unable to do because my country system. Because every person is saying this, it means every one responsible for it with exception). So here is two things to tradeoff leaving a country and dying trying in a country. Dont you agree some times the first option good even for the country if one comeback?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Thank you MrSalts, I am doing networking and asking for jobs companies here in my country too. Via LinkedIn I think I am doing good in networking, one person also wants to see the automation done on that batching plant and I am arranging for the visit. You also remind me giz ( a Germany based NGO) that operates here so I try to reach them. I am also trying in Kenya (neighbouring country) through a friend I have there.

One thing I believe is, it is not bad to have job outside your country collect money, knowledge, experience and exposure then comeback to your homeland and invest. Sometimes the otherwise cost your life and give nothing to you and your country at the end.

And for finding matching job like oil, mining: the reality is like this. They are mostly owned by government and there is one rigid hiring procedure they post the vacancy in that post they include the requirement which may include experience year in some area, field of study and some others. Sometimes you are the exact fit for that position and have the evidence and miss the requirements, and there is no way you can show your evidence even the hiring person may believe in you but he will say to you "I am sorry I know you can do it but you missed one requirement". I think it is last year with my colleague we have done ventilator prototype https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tins...windows-hmi-activity-6884452878061244416-BJ9V
(I know it is medical equipment need very vigorous test now and then. It doest not mean if it work it should be applicable. Is that robust doest it work for month continously? Will it fail safely? I know it need a lot of question...But when and who should ask this?). We have done it good as prototype but I believe if we were funded and helped further I am sure we will produce say after 2-5 year something commercial ventilator that would have saved life now at least in our country now. We have approached some institutes for this but they hezitate to go outside of their routines. We were unable to get some one who will break the tradition and say go ahead. It doesnt matter if our ventilator unable to commercialize after 5 years of developing, I believe this is the evolution for a country to develop. To conclude we as country are not doing good (deeply seeing I cant say I was unable to do because my country system. Because every person is saying this, it means every one responsible for it with exception). So here is two things to tradeoff leaving a country and dying trying in a country. Dont you agree some times the first option good even for the country if one comeback?
I completely agree that sometimes it is better to leave, not everything is your problem to solve. I was just trying to encourage you to look at some specific areas if you were set in your mind to stay. There are many other countries with labor shortages, good salaries and enlightened politicians know how to set immigration policies to help alleviate labor shortages. Look to Germany, Spain and France. All have thriving Chemical/Polymer/Manufacturing industries and seem to be hiring engineers from foreign countries lately.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
I completely agree that sometimes it is better to leave, not everything is your problem to solve. I was just trying to encourage you to look at some specific areas if you were set in your mind to stay. There are many other countries with labor shortages, good salaries and enlightened politicians know how to set immigration policies to help alleviate labor shortages. Look to Germany, Spain and France. All have thriving Chemical/Polymer/Manufacturing industries and seem to be hiring engineers from foreign countries lately.
Thankyou I will try as much as possible.