How can I sell my knowledge/and get job if I am from Africa

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
One other idea, would be to pursue i.e. a postgraduate degree, with a scholarship in USA.

I haven't done it, but from what I hear, and the friends of this forum from the states can help, it is possible a University to accept you and give you a scholarship.

Being in the States, and with a postgraduate degree, would be much easier to find a job in the field you want and like.

Just a thought

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
One other idea, would be to pursue i.e. a postgraduate degree, with a scholarship in USA.

I haven't done it, but from what I hear, and the friends of this forum from the states can help, it is possible a University to accept you and give you a scholarship.

Being in the States, and with a postgraduate degree, would be much easier to find a job in the field you want and like.

Just a thought
Thankyou,
I am searching scholarship which doesnt require GPA.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Here in Canada, people from Africa are a small minority like other worldly cultures and the groups stick together and help other immigrants from their culture. We have Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, people from India and Italian. They work and live together in their groups.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Here in Canada, people from Africa are a small minority like other worldly cultures and the groups stick together and help other immigrants from their culture. We have Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, people from India and Italian. They work and live together in their groups.
I wish/trying someone/company from anywhere the world give me work visa to be hired at any position. I dont mind the work type because I believe they will give me better position after they saw me. And I dont mind they fired me after a week if I didn't feet because I am prepared for it.
* Why anybody in the world will pick me? Because I am cheap labour with very good knowledge and skill
* how one can believe what I said above? Because I provided video evidence and beside I am ready to be tested

I have friends at Canada but they can't give me work visa or recommendation because they are new comer.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Sounds like something directly from the KKK handbook.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Sounds like something directly from the KKK handbook.
I disagree. It sounds like someone who is not an immigrant making observations about the immigrant groups. Also a very common way for immigrants to behave, that's why there are neighborhoods in various cities known as "little Italy, Chinatown, ...". If I were an immigrant, I would prefer to live with people who knew my culture, my language and had similar experiences.

It sounded to me like Audioguru was telling the OP that other people from Africa are in Canada and he can probably find support from those communities.

Could you elaborate why you think it sounds like KKK talk? Did you misread the post?

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The popular and now extremely wealthy Canadian singer, The Weeknd has parents from Ethiopia and he sings with an Ethiopian style. Maybe the "bio" about him will tell you the name of an Ethiopian culture group his family is in here.

I am not an immigrant but my nephew-in-law has parents from Italy and he became wealthy doing home renovations with all customers who are Italian.

Many culture groups are united by their religion: Muslim, Hindu, Baptist etc.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The initial post by the TS reminded me of an article by electronics guru Don Lancaster. The article was titled "The Case Against Patents". Here is the article:

https://www.tinaja.com/glib/newpats.pdf
Quoting from his article

"Fact – Ideas are usually worthless. At one time, way back in the golden age of inventing, ideas were worth as much as a dime a dozen. These days, they are worth less than a dime a bale in ten bale lots. An idea becomes useful only when and if it can get converted into some marketable product that in fact ends up solving end user needs. If you cannot demonstrate end users getting off on your idea, it has no value. It ain’t creative unless it sells."

Your query about selling ideas reminded me of that sentence. In essence, there is no practical way to do that.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
The initial post by the TS reminded me of an article by electronics guru Don Lancaster. The article was titled "The Case Against Patents". Here is the article:

https://www.tinaja.com/glib/newpats.pdf
Quoting from his article

"Fact – Ideas are usually worthless. At one time, way back in the golden age of inventing, ideas were worth as much as a dime a dozen. These days, they are worth less than a dime a bale in ten bale lots. An idea becomes useful only when and if it can get converted into some marketable product that in fact ends up solving end user needs. If you cannot demonstrate end users getting off on your idea, it has no value. It ain’t creative unless it sells."

Your query about selling ideas reminded me of that sentence. In essence, there is no practical way to do that.
I am not trying to sell ideas. I have done something physical which is also needed in the market and it is now solving real problem. I thaught I have explained it in my post and the video show that I have installed in real case (the concrete batching plant). Then I am using that to be hired even in lesser position than I person would be hired if he can do everything that needed in factory automation.

Please tell why you understood the other way?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am not trying to sell ideas. I have done something physical which is also needed in the market and it is now solving real problem. I thaught I have explained it in my post and the video show that I have installed in real case (the concrete batching plant). Then I am using that to be hired even in lesser position than I person would be hired if he can do everything that needed in factory automation.

Please tell why you understood the other way?
Knowledge is a generator of ideas. Even if those ideas can produce concrete results, companies, seldom go outside the company to develop those results. They would much prefer to use their internal resources to do that. If you read the rest of the article you will see the route to success. Publish everything -- give it away for free -- and become a recognized expert in your field. A single idea is not likely to be noticed. Ten good ideas a month will be noticed and will build you an unmatched reputation. Read the whole article. If their need is great enough, they will come to you.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Dear friend:

My name is Scammi Wazoo, son of the CEO of the Dupeyu
Bank of Nigeria. Due to Political strife, I am unable to move
my family’s savings of $20,000,000 (TWENTY MILLION
DOLLARS) without it being traced by rebel roces. I am
soliciting your help in transferring this money out of the
country. If you would provide your business name or
letterhead and name, address for verification, I will transfer
these funds to your account for safekeeping. For your help
in this, my family will let you keep $2,000,000 (TWO MIL-
LION DOLLARS) of the money. I await your response.

Sincerely,

Scammi Wazoo
Think you could check this guy out for me I'll happily split what ever we get. I mean TWO MILLION DOLLARS you could open your own company for sure.
;)
:D

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am sorry I didnt understand all your post. What is the connection of your post with my thread?
Scammers, particularly from Nigeria, are famous for spamming the email boxes of random people on other continents, in an attempt to extract fees for help in moving money out of Africa. These schemes are all fraudulent. It was a crude and tasteless shot at you which you certainly do not deserve. There is NO visible connection between those scammers and your post.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
crude and tasteless
I beg your pardon I thought it was inspired comedy gold.

Shot at you
I also take issue with this it wasn't so much directed at the op as at Africa in general. I have apologized if it was taken the wrong way. clearly it was not as it was clearly lost in the language barrier. Again best of luck hope some one got a luagh out of it. Hope you get a good a job. May angels protect all the little babies etc etc. Warm fuzzies to everyone.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Teljkon:
1. Did you see the links in my initial post?
2. Did you see my name and mail in the software that I developed?
3. Also did you confirm the guy in the video operating, the pic in the software about content and LinkedIn account pic are referring the same guy?

1. I have made the above such that anyone to develop trust....and come to me
2. The scheme of fraud you posted and my post have no common pattern that is why considerable amounts of guys participating to help me out in different way?
3. I didn't even ask a money and will not unless my salary. To your surprise I will cover my transport, accommodation for test period as long as you gave me work and work visa and living expense is not too high. And if you find me not like what I am saying I will take the risk to be fired within a week.

So better check what is wrong with you. Because for one main reason. You are blaming someone in public without evidence. Well you can keep your paranoid within you, but dont let them out untill you get enought evidence, it may be legal but not ethical.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Teljkon:
1. Did you see the links in my initial post?
2. Did you see my name and mail in the software that I developed?
3. Also did you confirm the guy in the video operating, the pic in the software about content and LinkedIn account pic are referring the same guy?

1. I have made the above such that anyone to develop trust....and come to me
2. The scheme of fraud you posted and my post have no common pattern that is why considerable amounts of guys participating to help me out in different way?
3. I didn't even ask a money and will not unless my salary. To your surprise I will cover my transport, accommodation for test period as long as you gave me work and work visa and living expense is not too high. And if you find me not like what I am saying I will take the risk to be fired within a week.

So better check what is wrong with you. Because for one main reason. You are blaming someone in public without evidence. Well you can keep your paranoid within you, but dont let them out untill you get enought evidence, it may be legal but not ethical.
In a strange way my "joke" Is probably indicative of your biggest challenges.

1. 1. People don't really take Africa seriously as a place to go for superior skills in engineering.
  2. 2. Africa is associated with allot of scams so out sourcing projects to Africa is going to be a tough sell in any small firm. In any country around the world.
  3. 3. The language skills while excellent, are still going to cause a casual discomfort for anyone with native English.

I want to reiterate it was a joke and I actually didn't mean to offend you. I would be pleased as a pickle if you thought it was funny. Frankly I think your advantage is not skill but price/location. The likely hood that some one is going to grab you and either pay you to get on a plane and travel or give you a job in the English world is frankly unlikely unless you have a managing sponsor.

I have known several people that have had jobs like the ones you seem to want usually hailing from India and china. These were software engineers not chemical and typically they had a manager that was not only the lead engineer but also managed a entire staff. Both in the states and in the country of origin at the same time. In this way your language skills are actually a burden. Meaning you could be viewed as too competent and a threat to the lead engineer. Also the hours those guys were expected to work was frankly borderline slave labor.

Your skill set also dose not travel well digitally. Chemical engineering can't really be done remotely. You could think about marketing your self to small firms over websites like https://www.upwork.com/ or https://www.fiverr.com/ but because chemical engineering is rather hands on. I would be suprised if you got more than one or two consults a year. Like I said your advantage is price and location. There are probably at least a few western based oil companies with assets in Africa looking for a good chemical engineer.

If you really want to work abroad I would take the time to specifically search for the type of visa each country requires to get work as a foreign laborer. In the U.S. where i was from ( i know hail from outer space) its called an h1b-visa every country has similar programs.

You'll need to prepare a resume in the U.S. and in Europe its called a CV or Curriculum Vitae. There usually prepared different so I would do both. Then look for companies that will accept them threw job websites in the US the main ones are. Career builder and monster jobs. I would inquire if they are hiring H1-b applicants in your cover letter another thing you should prepare. Yes to get a job in the west you basically need to write a book report on your self.

Again good luck

Yours truly
Scammi Wazoo

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
In a strange way my "joke" Is probably indicative of your biggest challenges.

1. 1. People don't really take Africa seriously as a place to go for superior skills in engineering.
  2. 2. Africa is associated with allot of scams so out sourcing projects to Africa is going to be a tough sell in any small firm. In any country around the world.
  3. 3. The language skills while excellent, are still going to cause a casual discomfort for anyone with native English.

I want to reiterate it was a joke and I actually didn't mean to offend you. I would be pleased as a pickle if you thought it was funny. Frankly I think your advantage is not skill but price/location. The likely hood that some one is going to grab you and either pay you to get on a plane and travel or give you a job in the English world is frankly unlikely unless you have a managing sponsor.

I have known several people that have had jobs like the ones you seem to want usually hailing from India and china. These were software engineers not chemical and typically they had a manager that was not only the lead engineer but also managed a entire staff. Both in the states and in the country of origin at the same time. In this way your language skills are actually a burden. Meaning you could be viewed as too competent and a threat to the lead engineer. Also the hours those guys were expected to work was frankly borderline slave labor.

Your skill set also dose not travel well digitally. Chemical engineering can't really be done remotely. You could think about marketing your self to small firms over websites like https://www.upwork.com/ or https://www.fiverr.com/ but because chemical engineering is rather hands on. I would be suprised if you got more than one or two consults a year. Like I said your advantage is price and location. There are probably at least a few western based oil companies with assets in Africa looking for a good chemical engineer.

If you really want to work abroad I would take the time to specifically search for the type of visa each country requires to get work as a foreign laborer. In the U.S. where i was from ( i know hail from outer space) its called an h1b-visa every country has similar programs.

You'll need to prepare a resume in the U.S. and in Europe its called a CV or Curriculum Vitae. There usually prepared different so I would do both. Then look for companies that will accept them threw job websites in the US the main ones are. Career builder and monster jobs. I would inquire if they are hiring H1-b applicants in your cover letter another thing you should prepare. Yes to get a job in the west you basically need to write a book report on your self.

Again good luck

Yours truly
Scammi Wazoo
I am pleased that your intention was not to offend me or my Africans brothers as a whole.

Most of the point you mentioned above are true. And I am also understanding the situation in the world based on what the participants in this thread are pointing.

But I am not saying as I have superior skill in engineering. I believe I did good in those project that I posted.

I know western need man power ( that is why DV lottery in US....) and I believe I feet in these demand.
Thaugh I can program PLC, design circuit etc, I will not expect such job abroad. But some thing that require less skill.

Lastly I believe western engineer may not want to come to Africa for minor issue. I know many company call foreigner for very simple problen they encountered. So this area is a potential for me. What if I would be an agent to trouble shoot capany's x product say in east Africa

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
I am pleased that your intention was not to offend me or my Africans brothers as a whole.

Most of the point you mentioned above are true. And I am also understanding the situation in the world based on what the participants in this thread are pointing.

But I am not saying as I have superior skill in engineering. I believe I did good in those project that I posted.

I know western need man power ( that is why DV lottery in US....) and I believe I feet in these demand.
Thaugh I can program PLC, design circuit etc, I will not expect such job abroad. But some thing that require less skill.

Lastly I believe western engineer may not want to come to Africa for minor issue. I know many company call foreigner for very simple problen they encountered. So this area is a potential for me. What if I would be an agent to trouble shoot capany's x product say in east Africa

I agree, I think the biggest hurdle is jumping threw the hoops western employment makes you jump threw. It's not like allot of jobs I have had. An, I imagine is more common for your part of the world. You can't just drop in and chat up the owner or prospect employer and tell them all your good qualifications. You have to, like I said, write a book report on your self. An that's your calling card. Mention any positive attributes you think make you the better prospect. However expect, as others have said, you will get less response on skill sets you don't have a degree in. Again, as I said find out what the foreign work programs are named in your target countries.

Second best thing I can advise is find western companies that have interest in Africa. Your language skills make you gold for any western company that works on your continent.

Best of luck. God bless

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
I agree, I think the biggest hurdle is jumping threw the hoops western employment makes you jump threw. It's not like allot of jobs I have had. An, I imagine is more common for your part of the world. You can't just drop in and chat up the owner or prospect employer and tell them all your good qualifications. You have to, like I said, write a book report on your self. An that's your calling card. Mention any positive attributes you think make you the better prospect. However expect, as others have said, you will get less response on skill sets you don't have a degree in. Again, as I said find out what the foreign work programs are named in your target countries.

Second best thing I can advise is find western companies that have interest in Africa. Your language skills make you gold for any western company that works on your continent.

Best of luck. God bless
Thank you and all others for taking their time to help. I will follow your advices.