How can I learn C programming?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The best way to learn it. Is by using it. Allow your self some learning curve. Are you taking or plan to take some course. Or is it just for hobbyist purpose

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Development boards that can be used with a C compiler are ubiquitous. What I am unaware of is a set that also included an "Introduction to C" section.

The best I could offer is the PICkit III (3 not 2) debug express kit. It is about $70, for that you get a programmer/debugger, a tested board, and a set of lessons to learn how to do all the basics using that board.

You can download the compiler and the lessons for free. Here's the lessons to start you off:

Lesson Document

Lesson files

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I would start learning C programming on a computer then transfering those skills to a UC. You can get a free copy of Microsoft Visual C++ Express and use it to write andn debug C console programs. Of course, there are other free C compilers also. If you're using Linux, you get a gcc compiler with your distro.

Before I started using microcontrollers, I used my desktop and parallel port to do I/O. I found that programming UC I/O was very similar. If you want to do this, you'll need an older computer with a parallel port and you'll need to install a free driver to gain access to your port. There is also some USB to parallel adaptors. I have one by FTDI, but never got it to work properly.

PS +1 on the PICKIT 3 and debug express. This is the one I used to learn on.

Last edited:

russian

Joined Sep 1, 2012
I would start learning C programming on a computer then transferring those skills to a UC.
I think this is the best advice here. I agree that you should separate "learning C" from "struggling with an MC using C" and start in the warm and cozy universe of desktops, with the console and printf available to you right away.