How can I gain control over my computer's sound?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
When I use VLC player, it gives me the option to go above 100% volume, which is good, because some videos have low sound levels and I can't hear them through the laptop speakers. This doesn't help me out much when I'm watching on netflix though; it seems like all the videos on netflix have really low volume. I was wondering if there might be some software that modifies sound volume of websites or other programs before it reaches the speakers. Also it would be nice if this software had some "compression" feature to make loud scenes quieter and quiet scenes louder, so I don't have to continually adjust the volume when people transition from whispering to submachinegun fire.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I searched the internet for days trying to find something for website streaming content like netflix. No luck.

The software I found is for media files only.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It may grab the audio stream, at a really low level, and beef up the values.

Isn't VLC open-source, or is it just freeware? If it's open source, I'm sure you could ask them, or sift through the code yourself...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It may grab the audio stream, at a really low level, and beef up the values.

Isn't VLC open-source, or is it just freeware? If it's open source, I'm sure you could ask them, or sift through the code yourself...
Have you tried putting your cursor on the VLC window and scrolling up? When I do that, it goes up to 400%
I see I worded my post a little wonky and that led to some confusion. I'm not having any trouble with VLC player. I was using VLC player as an example, to prove that some software is indeed capable of exceeding "100%" volume. Now that we know that software can bypass the 100% level, I was wondering if there were some software, other than VLC, that I can use to boost the volume of streaming video in Netflix, Because the volume in Netflix is too low and does not allow me to go >100%.

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
It's not possible.... (or at least... it's not that easy). Apps that have more than 100% it is because when they decode the sound, they pass through a digital amplifier before it gets to the sound card...

If the codec has a setting/function to amplify the sound digitally it would be nice, but I don't think it has.

An application that does not have this feature (to digitally amplify), you basically have to hack either the application or the codec it uses...

If you are thinking to take the sound of the sound card amplify it, then play it back, it's not possible, because... you have to record from the sound card (from wave source), then amplify, and play it back to the wave source, therefore it hears/records itself, making an infinite echo.
If you have 2 sound cards, then it would work because you record from one sound card, aplify, and play it back on the other sound card where your speakers are plugged in.

And to add some validity to that... I am the guy who wrote this tutorial:
http://www.codeguru.com/vb/gen/vb_m...hp/c15297/Sound-and-DirectXSound-Tutorial.htm

I have a simpler solution at home... The computer is plugged in a home power amplifier, with 2 * 300 watt speakers, and wireless headphones plugged into the amplifier. The computer volume is always at MAX, and I never touch it. I change the volume using the knob on the amplifier or my head phones.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Maybe the videos with "low sound volume" have surround sound. If you listen in ordinary stereo then it does not pick up the center-front dialog channel that is in surround sound.