How can I drive an HID Strobe lights to flash as police lights?

KB1VSP

Joined Sep 11, 2011
I am adding strobes to my "Police Lawn Mower" wich has Led strobes. Not enoughf so i want to have 4 strobes on it... strobes 1 and 2 to flash 3 times and then strobes 3 and 4 flash 3 times... (Like the Hideaway strobes in cop cars) I want to build a circut that is farily simple and inexpensive (becides the bulbs)
-Victor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBPnukjGC8

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Most police liights don't flash. The front white lights and headlights flash, but the top sirens are a continuous light that has a mirror that spins around simulating a flashing light. For the headlights I prefer the on-off/off-on/on-off type. So while one lights up the other goes out. That what most cops here use.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually it is not hard. You charge up a cap with a DC/DC converter, trigger the strobe unit with the step up transformer, and repeat. It could be triggered with a 555 or 4017 circuit used to drive LEDs.

.LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers
Chapter 11 - Making patterns.

Radio Shack used to sell the xenon strobe and transformer, but no more.

There is another problem also, a circuit like this comes very close to violating our terms of service (ToS). If a mod clears it I will throw some ideas out.

KB1VSP

Joined Sep 11, 2011
Thats what i was thinking. use 555 led circut to trigger.. do you have a simple shematic of how i would charge and trigger a strobe? i have the 555 circut down...

Its Not illeagal in any way what i am doing... (Just putting it on a lawnmower lol)

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It's not that, it is more the high voltage end. If I can I'll try sketching something up since the thread is still open.

I'm not triggering it with the LED, I would be using the current that would be going to the LED to excite the strobe transformer instead.

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
Most police liights don't flash. The front white lights and headlights flash, but the top sirens are a continuous light that has a mirror that spins around simulating a flashing light. For the headlights I prefer the on-off/off-on/on-off type. So while one lights up the other goes out. That what most cops here use.
Well, where I live in the U.S. all the state patrol and city police cars use high power LED strobes. They are unbelievably bright! I would love to see a design description of one of those patrol car light bars. They must have several hundred watts of LED power.

KB1VSP

Joined Sep 11, 2011
Yes, I noticed they are verry bright... but i am looking for that signaature strobe flash... i have leds already

KB1VSP

Joined Sep 11, 2011
Sorry, got distracted. Do you have the 4KV step up transformer to fee the strobe tube?
Not yet. I was going to see if i can find a good setup (Schematic) before i buy things... Once i get a good circut plan put together, i will find some bulbs and transformers...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, here is a rough sketch of what I was talking about. It is based of the Forrest Mimms diagrams, which are all over the web.

I've never built this, but the idea is when the transistor turns on the capacitor dumps its charge though the transformer, firing the Xenon tube.

Attachments

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
You are more than likely correct about that.
With LEDs and lenses being as bright as they are, its been awhile since I have messed with xenon tubes.