How can I do away with (mic ) ?

micron

Joined Nov 2, 2009
Hello I have looked the similar threads with no luck . To start lets be claer that I am a ( newbie ) . I am working on a line following robot from a kit that I am trying to put in to a model car that I got from wal mart. I can get the robot moving by tapping on the mic. Now just guessing with my limiterd knowledge Iam thinking that the signal from the tapping on the mic is needed to start the car moving . My problem is that when I put the body of the car on the chassie I can not get to the mic to give it a tap. so is there any way that I can do away with the mic? I was thinking of maybe a switch that would pick up a signal from some where .Many thanks to any one that could help me with this . Micron thanks for your reply I have added some info I found on the part u1. an you are right I think that u5-u6-u7 are the photosensors the kit is called line following mouse an came from electronics express .an as I said really new at this an in over my head but teacher said this would be good for us. He doesn't really want a kit but would except a varyation of a kit

Attachments

Last edited:

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
This does not make much sense to me. Why the mic? Line followers normally use light and some sort of photo detector perhaps like u4..6, but these look like optical isolators.
Spec sheet for parts would really help, can you find them, esp for U1? It may be out there but not obvious to me. Where did the kit come form? Are there any more directions?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
It is a line follower which is activated by sound (clap). Those are not optocouplers they are IR LED and Phototransistor pairs (similar to picture), they are positioned to where the IR is reflected off of the line to be followed.

From what it looks like, you can remove the mic and connect a switch to ground and pin 9 to activate it.... If you can cut the trace from where the 10K resistor (R2) connects to Q1, (but leave PIN 9 connected to the resistor), and then connect your switch there and to ground, so every time you press the switch it should activate the circuit.....

My .02