How can I convert SPDIF to EFM (RF) signal, to use a cd player as a DAC ?

gaetan8888

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Hello

A friend of mine do have a kenwood DP-460 cd player with a dead laser, it was a very good sounding cd player, he ask me to modified this kenwood into a DAC.

So, to use a SPDIF signal, the only thing I should need to do should be to use a SPDIF to EFM (RF) signal convertor ?

I presume that the converted signal, after SPDIF to EFM (RF) convertion, should go to pin 29 of the TC9200AF data processor Ic ?

Any simple circuits suggestions for convertion of SPDIF to EFM (RF) signal and how to use it ?

Btw, using google, I can not find anywhere the data sheet for the TC9200AF and the TC9201AF, anyone do have them ?

Here is a part of the schematic of the kenwood DP-460 cd player.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's harder than that. By the way, IC301 is the DAC.

This is a single-purpose CD player. It needs a serial bitstream presenting the left and right channel digital values to the processor. It's not going to be able to decode S/PDIF - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDIF - certainly not in RF form.

gaetan8888

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Hello

Yes I know that the TD6709 are a dac. For those who would like to see, I include the data sheet image.

My friend was sure that the laser was burned, but after your reply I decide to test his Kenwood cd player, wen I use commercial music cd it work perfect, but wen I use burned cd-r music, this Kenwood cd player can not play more than 7 track, after 7 track it do jerky sound with the music, it look like it can not follow those track after the first 7.

Any hints of what could be the problems ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It may be a mechanical problem. The music track spirals out from the center. If the mechanism that carries the laser has dirt or some impediment to smooth motion, that might cause the problem.

gaetan8888

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Hello

My friend did love a lot the sound of his kenwood DP-460 cd player, so I told him that I could do a DAC with kenwood.

So, I could use a SAA7210 or CS8412 receiver Ic, but I need to know if the input format(s) that the TD6709N accepts are I2S format or Standard Japanese input format.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan