How can I complete my project of designing a seven segment up counter using JK flip-flops in Proteus

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Please find attached the Kmaps
The first kmap I looked at was for QKD. It's wrong.
upload_2017-10-4_7-43-39.png
Why are you not including information for the invalid counts? This has gone on for so long that I'm going to give you this one. It should be KD=1. Can you determine how I got that and why I keep telling you that you need to use the invalid counts to simplify logic?

Last edited:

joedone1

Joined Oct 1, 2017
View attachment 136515
Why are you not including information for the invalid counts? This has gone on for so long that I'm going to give you this one. It should be KD=1. Can you determine how I got that and why I keep telling you that you need to use the invalid counts to simplify logic?
No sir, that is what is giving me head ache.

joedone1

Joined Oct 1, 2017
View attachment 136515
Please Sir, take a look at what I have done again based on your instructions. I believe this is the best I can do. The circuit is counting from 0-4, 9. I don't really understand why the remaining numbers are not coming up.

Thanks sir.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I believe this is the best I can do.
Your kmaps are wrong. Post your truth table showing the JK data.

You appear to have a missing connection dot on the J input of U9. Your schematic would be easier to read if you avoided unnecessary wire jogs and crossings.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You did post your updated truth table. I didn't see anything wrong with it, other than the fact that you keep omitting don't care counts and you don't order your table in gray code order. If they're not teaching you to do this, you should seriously consider a different school.

I'd also stop using Q0 and use a single letter; less writing. And make A always the LSB. Look at the datasheet for a counter like 74LS160. This is the way it's been done for more than 4 decades.

Why did you use a grouping of 4 instead of 8 for K1?
upload_2017-10-4_10-12-13.png
Why are you making groupings of only X's?
upload_2017-10-4_10-13-10.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A redraw of your schematic:
upload_2017-10-4_11-38-7.png
Since your flip flops didn't have them; I left preset and clear inputs unconnected for clarity.

Original (with some annotations by me - until I couldn't trace connectivity):
upload_2017-10-4_11-29-14.png

Last edited:

joedone1

Joined Oct 1, 2017
Thank
Your kmaps are wrong. Post your truth table showing the JK data.

You appear to have a missing connection dot on the J input of U9. Your schematic would be easier to read if you avoided unnecessary wire jogs and crossings.
Thank you very much Sir, you have been really of great help to me in this project. I have successfully completed the circuit and its giving me the desired output.
I am really grateful Sir

joedone1

Joined Oct 1, 2017
Good day Sir,
After completion of the project, the Professor asked me to construct a seven segment decade down counter (9-0) using JK Flip-Flop. I have tried to revert the circuit for the up counter. However, it is only counting 8, 4, C, 2, A, 6, E, 1, 9

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
After completion of the project, the Professor asked me to construct a seven segment decade down counter
Are you still working on this problem?

Did you receive lower credit for your up counter solution because logic wasn't minimized?

joedone1

Joined Oct 1, 2017
Are you still working on this problem?

Did you receive lower credit for your up counter solution because logic wasn't minimized?
Good day sir, I the Professor has received the up counter just the way it is working. I am currently writing exams, so he has asked that I complete the project after my exams.