How can I add Type C PD ports in my pickup powered with 12 volt DC.

CaseyKoehn

Joined Apr 18, 2022
I am working on a project in my pickup where I am adding a couple of USB type C ports to my dash to charge my phone. I know very little when it comes to power delivery and I have not been able to find a breakout board that does what I would like to do. I want to make the ports PD compatible and I do not know what board I need, and also how to power them. Can I just use the 12 volt DC from my battery?

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
You might consider something similar to this. These come in various styles – this one has a USB A socket with QC fast charging, a USB C PD socket and a voltmeter. It mounts in a ~1.1" hole, and will operate happily at 12 volts, but for even higher charge rates, it will handle 24 volts, which you could handle with a DC-DC boost module.

SmartSelect_20220419-073601_Edge.jpg

CaseyKoehn

Joined Apr 18, 2022
You might consider something similar to this. These come in various styles – this one has a USB A socket with QC fast charging, a USB C PD socket and a voltmeter. It mounts in a ~1.1" hole, and will operate happily at 12 volts, but for even higher charge rates, it will handle 24 volts, which you could handle with a DC-DC boost module.

View attachment 265448
Ya I had looked at those but and I would go that direction but the space I have is only about 3/4 inch so it wouldn't fit.