Hours of Sleep!!!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All! How y'all doing?:D

Well, it is known by errbody that one needs 8 hours of sleep in order for the human body system to perform properly!

However, engineers or engineering students usually have LOTS of works...
So how many hours (minimun) of sleep do you think one should have in order to perform excellent at work/school and at the same time allowing the body to function well too!?

Enjoy ur weekend!

Eric007,

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
It varies of course, but I'll say 6 hours because that always worked for me.

I prefer 8 hours and feel best with that, but can easily get by with 6 hours. Any less than that and it catches up with me eventually.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
It varies of course, but I'll say 6 hours because that always worked for me.

I prefer 8 hours and feel best with that, but can easily get by with 6 hours. Any less than that and it catches up with me eventually.
I was thinking of 6 hours as well...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Actually, the human body usually sleeps in 90 minute intervals. In order to get a comfortable amount of sleep and to wake up refreshed, you must wake up at a time that is a multiple of 90 minutes. I have found 7 1/2 hours to be the best for me, but some people might prefer 6 hours, others may need 9. It depends on the person, really. 6 is healthy as long as it is deep sleep, and it's also a multiple of 90 minutes, so it is good to wake up at. However, if you can get 7 1/2, it will give you more sleep and will make you feel more refreshed when you wake up.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are no hard and fast rules. It varies from person to person.
Babies can sleep for 16 hrs, teenagers need about 10 hrs. As you grow older you can get by with 8 hrs or 6hrs.

It is not the number of hours but the quality of your sleep. Go by what your body is telling you. If you get up and don't feel refreshed, or if by the end of the day you get drowsy, then you're not getting enough quality sleep.

If you wake up in the middle of the night and cannot fall back to sleep, don't toss and turn in bed. Get up, do something, read a book. When you feel sleepy, go back to bed.

Most importantly, watch your stress level, get lots of exercise, and ease off on the caffeine.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Actually, the human body usually sleeps in 90 minute intervals... you must wake up at a time that is a multiple of 90 minutes...
:D LOL...where you got that theory from? Sound interresting though!
I was especially refering to periods of intensive works...Not holidayz...but yeah I guess 6 hours is still fine otherwise human system will catch up with you as Steveb said...

Last edited:

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I would say, with the alarm clock set, the amount of sleep I get depends on how much coffee I have drunk in the evening.

That stuff keeps me up for hours if I make a big cuppa at midnight.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If I don't get at least 6 hours of sleep I have sore eyes when I wake up. On the other hand, extended winter holidays are still giving me a hard time in the morning. Habit is a - difficult thing.

However, I can't study for more than 6 hours straight. I never could. I can build and solder for 20, but that's a brain-free job.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Usually if I get any less than 7 1/2 hours, I literally can't function the next day. I can't think straight and have difficulty doing anything, especially with my hands. I'm literally useless, especially when it comes to working with electronics. I need my 7 1/2 hours.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I get 5-6 hours sleep during the week. By the end of the week I'm pretty drained and will catch up on the weekends. I've found that stress levels make the most impact on sleep quality, so I put extra effort in managing that exposure.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
...However, I can't study for more than 6 hours straigh...
I've always wanted to study straight for many hours but UNable to...also I can't really focus for too long...(VERY BAD)...wish I can fix that!

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I've always wanted to study straight for many hours but able to...also I can't really focus for too long...(VERY BAD)...wish I can fix that!
Back in high school and college I often found myself studying for about 8 hours straight. My junior year was very tough. I got out of school at 2:00, got home around 2:30, and ended up working until 10:00 or 11:00 pm each night. I got a little better in college, but still worked about 4-6 hours a day. I could only drink something with caffeine if I didn't have class until 9 or 10 the next morning. Otherwise, I wouldn't drink coffee, or even Pepsi, after 3 pm.