Hot Swap for 3 phase

caigiday

Joined Jan 7, 2009
Hello,

I would like to have a module that will swap to either generator 1 or 2 without interrupt the power. The power generator is a Y 3 phase. Where can I start?

Thanks so much in advance.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
What amount of power are you talking about?

If you can synchronise the two generators so that they run at the same frequency and phase it could be easy, but it also depends on the load applied.

caigiday

Joined Jan 7, 2009
The two generators are supposed to be identical, so if we suspect there is something wrong with one generator, we will command (hit a button or something) to swap to the other generator.

The power is 70kW.

Thanks

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Hey Caigiday,
What are you running that sucks up 70KW? If both power supplies are running at the same time, a simple switch, rated for that power consumption would be okay. If not, then the unit you are running must be capable of down time until the second power source is up and running.
But my first suggestion, and your original question, would be to get a qualified electrician to diagnose and install what you need. That amount of power could run a small town.
Dan

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Hey Caigiday,
What are you running that sucks up 70KW? If both power supplies are running at the same time, a simple switch, rated for that power consumption would be okay. If not, then the unit you are running must be capable of down time until the second power source is up and running.
But my first suggestion, and your original question, would be to get a qualified electrician to diagnose and install what you need. That amount of power could run a small town.
Dan
"That amount of power could run a small town."

Well maybe a VERY small town ;)

Lefty